Author Topic: Photos taken om Canon EOS Mark III won't render in Photo Mechanic  (Read 1334 times)

Offline Harvey Levine

• View Profile
Photos taken on my Canon EOS Mark III won't render in Photo Mechanic. When I drag the files into PM there are nothing but blanks If I drag the files into Photoshop they open fine. It's not the cards as I tried multiple cards and the same cards work on my Canon R3 so it would appear to be something in PM or the camera. Stuff I shot on my R3 render find. Any ideas?

Offline MNeipris

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Photos taken om Canon EOS Mark III won't render in Photo Mechanic
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2023, 08:39:42 AM »
If this is a newer Canon camera that records CR3 file types, it most likely has a mode called HDR PQ that might have been unintentionally enabled.

​Photo Mechanic cannot currently display the embedded preview file type generated when shot in HDR PQ mode.

A workaround is to convert these CR3 files to DNG files using the Tools--Convert RAW to DNG option. You'll need Adobe DNG Converter installed if it is not already. Once it is, use the "Pick DNG Converter" button in the Convert RAW to DNG window to select the install location of Adobe DNG Converter.

With Adobe DNG Converter open, under the Preferences section, select the "Change Preferences..." button.

In the Preview/Fast Load Data section, change the JPEG Preview: dropdown option to "Full Size".

You'll need to convert at least one image directly in Adobe DNG Converter for it to work properly with Photo Mechanic.

Offline Rguzmanphoto

• View Profile
Re: Photos taken om Canon EOS Mark III won't render in Photo Mechanic
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2023, 01:30:38 PM »
If this is a newer Canon camera that records CR3 file types, it most likely has a mode called HDR PQ that might have been unintentionally enabled.

​Photo Mechanic cannot currently display the embedded preview file type generated when shot in HDR PQ mode.

A workaround is to convert these CR3 files to DNG files using the Tools--Convert RAW to DNG option. You'll need Adobe DNG Converter installed if it is not already. Once it is, use the "Pick DNG Converter" button in the Convert RAW to DNG window to select the install location of Adobe DNG Converter.

With Adobe DNG Converter open, under the Preferences section, select the "Change Preferences..." button.

In the Preview/Fast Load Data section, change the JPEG Preview: dropdown option to "Full Size".

You'll need to convert at least one image directly in Adobe DNG Converter for it to work properly with Photo Mechanic.

I had the Canon EOS MKIII and those files were .cr2 I just checked my archive and images show up just fine in PM Plus