Author Topic: Allow user to choose the variables in the Catalog  (Read 1338 times)

Offline PhiK

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Allow user to choose the variables in the Catalog
« on: May 30, 2023, 01:53:11 PM »
Hello

PMP is supposed to be a highly customizable program. Unfortunately, one of its most important features, the Catalog, is not customizable. It is not possible to choose which data are included in the Catalog. If you are interested by the focal lenght and want to know which pictures are done with a very large angle, you cannot do it easily. On the other side, even if you are not interested by Organisation ID or the serial number, they are included int he catalog, and some speed and memory is lost for you.

So for me the most basic and most important improvement is to allow the user to choose which parameters to include in the catalog. And I think all the Exif data should be included, from focal lenght to speed, ISO etc. It sounds basic.

Thanks for your attention.

Offline justinhoch

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • The JHoch Journal
Re: Allow user to choose the variables in the Catalog
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2024, 10:44:57 PM »
I'd like to boost this idea.

Long time PM user and adorer, first time user of the PM+ Catalog features.

I've looked through a few dozen posts over the past several years looking for clarity on this - specifically, which EXIF fields are available to use in the Filter & Browse panels - and learned that only 4 fields have ever been available - Lens Used, Model, Serial Number, and User.  (Post reference: https://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=13802)

That thread is from Dec 2020 and includes this tease:

We will likely add a few more Exif data like the ones you listed, but none of the more esoteric ones.

Alas, it appears this has yet to come to fruition. I'd love to see the idea readdressed!

I know that there's a time penalty for adding additional fields to the indexing process, and given that, I would love the option to specify which fields should be indexed and available, as has been suggested in previous posts. (This thread specifically: https://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=14294) I'm sure that there are complications with the coding necessary to implement such features, as well as the subsequent user experience management and support fallout from adding something that is likely to be complex to explain how it works. I could see it being part of the the Catalog Management Maintenance area, with an explanation of how changing the available fields will necessitate a re-build of the index and how that can take a long time to do, just as the "Re-Index Catalog" button does now in that space. I have some more ideas on how it could work from a UX perspective, but don't have time at the moment to mock up some examples.

I do think the added functionality would be worth the time penalty when tailored to a user's needs. I'd love to see more fields available, if even only Shutter Speed, Focal Length, and ISO. Just having those three would make a huge difference to start. The customization aspect would be a bonus. Thanks!