Author Topic: stop 'Photos' app...  (Read 3586 times)

Offline graemefordham

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
stop 'Photos' app...
« on: March 08, 2016, 03:42:58 AM »
I appreciate that this is not an apple forum. However, I am certain that some users have experienced the same issues, as our usual workflow entails formatting cards on a regular basis. Save disabling the photos app itself on my Mac, which I use for family/home/travel image access across devices, does anyone know of a solution to permenantly stop the import dialogue screen of the app from opening (ticking the box only works until the card in reformatted)? Unfortunately, clicking away that screen is now laughably a part of my 'workflow'. I'll just get rid of it if not, but i'm all up for solutions, terminal or otherwise, from those tech minded of you having similar issues. Internet is full of half solutions not quite in the ballpark.

Thanks, Graeme   

Offline schlotz

• View Profile
Re: stop 'Photos' app...
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 05:17:24 AM »
Short answer, one of Apple's later updates borked things especially if you format your cards in the camera like most do (including me).  Canon and others, although surprisingly not Sony, reissue a new UUID to the card when reformatted.   Apple's OS reads the UUID, and new=run iphotos regardless of any previous settings inside of the ImageCapture app. Unless you reformat in the computer (not my recommendation) there is only a partial kludge, i.e. it will stop iphotos from popping up but you will need to manually bring up ingest inside of PM. Open a terminal window and do the following:

defaults -currentHost write com.apple.ImageCapture disableHotPlug -bool YES

to reverse change YES to NO

Matt

Offline graemefordham

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: stop 'Photos' app...
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 04:57:50 AM »
Hi Matt, thanks for your quick and helpful response. Done. I don't mind the shortcut to ingest. Far outweighs the bother of the former issue.

Perfect answer!

Cheers, G