Author Topic: Rename photos and I lose my camera raw settings...  (Read 2955 times)

Offline Magnus

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Rename photos and I lose my camera raw settings...
« on: March 22, 2016, 06:45:36 AM »
I use PM and open my raw files in Camera raw (Photoshop CC) and edit the photos.

After edit I want to rename all the photos in PM but when I open the photos i Camera Raw all my settings/adjustments are lost.

What do I do wrong is it PM or Camera Raw that dont can read the xmp-files after rename. Or is it some settings in Photoshop that make my this problem.

I have edit 400 files and now I have to do it again :-(

/Magnus

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Rename photos and I lose my camera raw settings...
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 09:14:51 AM »
Magnus,

I use PM and open my raw files in Camera raw (Photoshop CC) and edit the photos.

After edit I want to rename all the photos in PM but when I open the photos i Camera Raw all my settings/adjustments are lost.

What do I do wrong is it PM or Camera Raw that dont can read the xmp-files after rename. Or is it some settings in Photoshop that make my this problem.

I have edit 400 files and now I have to do it again :-(

It sounds like you're using XMP sidecar files with your RAW files, correct?  Are the XMP sidecar files renaming to the same base name as the RAW images or are they left with their old names?

-Kirk

Offline Magnus

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 03:04:06 PM »
Yes, PM rename both the cr2-file and the xmp to the same name.

If I open 100 rawfiles in camera raw and adjust the files and pres finish. Then I can take the next 100 files in the same folder and adjust them to.

When I then select all 200 (or less if I delete som) in PM and open all files in camera raw then all my adjustment is lost.

If I only open the first 100 files and edit, then rename in PM, and open i camera raw from PM then I dont lose my adjustment. ????

/Magnus

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 06:52:35 PM »
Magnus,

Yes, PM rename both the cr2-file and the xmp to the same name.

If I open 100 rawfiles in camera raw and adjust the files and pres finish. Then I can take the next 100 files in the same folder and adjust them to.

When I then select all 200 (or less if I delete som) in PM and open all files in camera raw then all my adjustment is lost.

If I only open the first 100 files and edit, then rename in PM, and open i camera raw from PM then I dont lose my adjustment. ????

What happens if you do no renaming at all and send 200 images to ACR after you edited them previously?  Are your adjustments lost?

-Kirk