Author Topic: Navigating folder tree and opening contact sheets using keyboard shortcuts  (Read 2440 times)

Offline MagneFalnes

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
My proposal is that you implement option for navigating in the directory tree and opening contact sheets without having to use the pointer (mouse) device. I am very fond of using shortcut keys, and I use shortcut keys far more than anyone I met so far. I grab the mouse device only when there is no key option.

I want to navigate in the folder structure in a similar way as in WindowsExplorer, traversing the folder tree with the arrow keys (right, down, left, up, ...), and filling the contact sheet with photos of the selected folder by pressing f.inst. the spacebar key. I also want to jump between the navigation pane (folder tree) and the contact sheet by Tab and Shift+Tab, like in WindowsExplorer.

As a reference for the suggested feature, try this: Select a folder in the directory tree. Bring up context menu by RightClick (or Shift+F10). On that menu there are different options for filling the contact sheet with photos, f.inst. 'Open in current contact sheet'. When this is done, focus is lost from the folder in the folder tree (navigation tree). There is not a key shortcut for coming back to the folder tree and continue traversing through the folder tree. One must click the pointer device in order to retain focus in the navigation pane (directory tree).

Compare this proposal to traversing a folder tree in WindowsExplorer and press the spacebar to see the files in the currently selected folder. Pressing the spacebar could f.inst. give the same result as Shift+F10, 'Open in current contact sheet'. Other shortcut keys could also be used, like Ctrl+Spacebar, Alt+Spacebar or other keys, for the different ways to open or filling the contact sheet with photos, cf. the different Open.... options on the context menu (Shift+F10).
It seems to be a de-facto standard (i.e. implmented in many programs) to use Ctrl+Tab for switching between sheets. It should be available for switching cyclic through all contact sheets (and SHIFT+Ctrl+Tab for cycling the other way). Concider also the use of F6 or Ctrl+F6, which are used for switching betweeen files and sheets in many programs.

The proposed feature will offer a quick and easy way to traverse a folder structure and take a quick look on the pictures in the selected folders respectively, whithout having to touch the pointer (mouse) device.

If you actually will implement this, I may assist you with a more detailed spesification of this functionality. After the implementation I may assist you by testing and writing a draft for a how-to-navigate-easily-using-only-keyboards.

(A related topic thread was started more than 6 years ago, with no comments added.
http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=4792.msg21892#msg21892
I was adviced to concider a new topic).

Best regards from
Magne Falnes
(Norway)
magne.falnes@lyse.net