Author Topic: slow video ingest  (Read 4414 times)

Offline Chantus

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • www.garciabetancourt.com
slow video ingest
« on: July 22, 2016, 06:28:45 AM »
Hi friends, I have been using PM for many years for ingesting my photo works, and besides the need to delete preferences files on my mac from time to time, it works great. But when I tried to use it for video ingest it takes a long time, specially with long clips. I didn't run any test but I would say that compared to a finder regular copy it takes twice the time to complete. I've been facing this issue with different builts of PM and on different computers with mac os x.
My actual configuration is PM 5.0 build 17338 (df27633), OSX EL Capitan 10.11.4 on a Macbook Pro Retina, 16gb RAM, i7 processor.
Any help appreciated.

Pablo
Pablo Betancourt

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: slow video ingest
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 08:48:00 AM »
Pablo,

Ingest uses the same copy method for all files that it copies.  I expect all file copies to be of similar speed.

I don't know of any way to speed up the copies other than to have a faster card/card reader.  PM uses a command supplied by the OS called 'ditto' to copy files.  In our testing it is on-par with Finder copies.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 11:16:14 AM »
Pablo,

Are you perhaps adding metadata to the file when ingesting? In my experience, this is about the only thing that would make PM ingest slower than a straight copy in the Finder.

Cheers,
Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 11:59:10 AM »
Hayo,

Are you perhaps adding metadata to the file when ingesting? In my experience, this is about the only thing that would make PM ingest slower than a straight copy in the Finder.

PM only uses XMP sidecar files for metadata for movies, so even that is quick.

I'm fairly stumped as to how all things being equal (total MB/sec) that PM would copy images faster than movies.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 12:17:48 PM »
Hayo,

True, but wouldn't pm need to read some of the file to determine the value of some of the metadata variables (e.g., datetimeoriginal or whatever?) if these are used?
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 01:21:59 PM »
Hayo,

True, but wouldn't pm need to read some of the file to determine the value of some of the metadata variables (e.g., datetimeoriginal or whatever?) if these are used?

Sure.  But the time to do that is equivalent to reading metadata from images.  It should be able to be done in a few milliseconds.

-Kirk

Offline Chantus

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • www.garciabetancourt.com
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 01:35:33 PM »
Yes, actually I allways write metadata since I usually have both photos and videos on the same card. But as Kirk stated, this shouldn't be an issue.

I run some tests:

Copying 21,87 gb from a memory card to an external hard drive
only videos on card
maximum video size on card: 1,16 gb
through finder: 4:15"
through PM: 4:11"

Copying 10,47 gb from a memory card to an external hard drive
only videos on card
maximum video size 3,88gb
through finder: 1:55"
through PM: ingest with errors. Tried 3 times, restarting PM. Same thing. Restart MacOS X. Now it did it. 1:55" same as finder.

I'm not being able to replicate the issue. need to test photo+video card. I'll come back when I get it.
If I do anything within PM while is ingesting (view a photo or a video for instance) I always get errors on ingest. This happens only if I'm copying video files. With photo ingest, I can still work on PM while ingesting, with no problem.

Thanks for the support,

Pablo
Pablo Betancourt