Author Topic: PM5 is over 37GB on my Win10 machine  (Read 4421 times)

Offline kingsley

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM5 is over 37GB on my Win10 machine
« on: August 06, 2016, 01:23:49 AM »
Hi,

Just noticed something unusual, when I am in the Apps section of Win10, PM5 is reporting over 37GB in size.  Is this normal.  I have emptied both cache's and its still showing 37GB.  I might try an uninstall and reinstall.  Any advice would be welcome.  I am running the version prior to R17671.  Win10x64 with 24GB RAM.

Cheers 

Kingsley

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM5 is over 37GB on my Win10 machine
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 09:22:03 AM »
Kingsley,

Just noticed something unusual, when I am in the Apps section of Win10, PM5 is reporting over 37GB in size.  Is this normal.  I have emptied both cache's and its still showing 37GB.  I might try an uninstall and reinstall.  Any advice would be welcome.  I am running the version prior to R17671.  Win10x64 with 24GB RAM.

Could you please post a screenshot of the window showing the above information?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline kingsley

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 08:58:48 PM »

I actually went ahead and uninstalled and reinstalled it last night as I mentioned and currently the size is showing 'unavailable'.  What I can tell you was it was in the System-Apps&Features window, and the size was 37.1GB and a blue line was under the where it says Camera Bits, noting it relative size allocation on the the hard disk.  I have a couple that have very short blue lines, but this on was a 1/3 of the way across.

I'll reboot again and see if the size comes up.  Performance wise, the program worked as expected, no complaints, no hangs, so it was a bit odd.

I'll report back to you as I check it through the day. 

Thanks Kirk,

Kingsley

Offline kingsley

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: PM5 is over 21GB on my Win10 machine
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 08:22:59 AM »
Hi Kirk

Looks like my problem isn't solved.  I've just checked my WinPC and PM5 17719 is showing 21GB.  I have attached a screen grab from the Apps window which shows this info. 

Regards

Kingsley

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 09:13:51 AM »
If I had to guess, I expect that PM's log file is getting large.  In Photo Mechanic go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Windows Explorer window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Check for the PM.log file as well.  What is the size of the PM.log file?  Feel free to delete it.  It will be re-created as needed.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline kingsley

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 08:21:47 PM »
Thanks for the reply Kirk, Unfortunately, that doesn't show the problem.  I've attached the log files as well as another screen cap. Cheers  Kingsley

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 09:55:39 PM »
I dunno.  You tell me what is using 27GB of disk space on your computer related to PM5.  Your disk cache could be very large.  Other than that it is usually the PM.log file.  Get the size of the "cache" folder in your most recent screenshot.

If it is the culprit, you can throw it away, and you can set limits on the size of the cache folder and even have it emptied each time PM quits.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline kingsley

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 09:44:19 PM »
Hi Kirk, Its still a mystery to me... I can't find where the source of the file size is.  I have done you two screen of all the CameraBits folder and all the diagnostic files. Prior to the screen cap, I cleared the caches, closed PM5, opened PM5, ran diagnostics, ran file properties on program files and checked to see what Windows was reporting as its size. Cheers  K

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 11:18:21 PM »
Hi Kirk, Its still a mystery to me... I can't find where the source of the file size is.  I have done you two screen of all the CameraBits folder and all the diagnostic files. Prior to the screen cap, I cleared the caches, closed PM5, opened PM5, ran diagnostics, ran file properties on program files and checked to see what Windows was reporting as its size. Cheers  K

I don't see the size of your "cache" folder (it's where PM stores previews and thumbnails).  I see it listed in the Windows Explorer window in the first screen shot, but no properties dialog showing its size.  Check the cache folder.

-Kirk

Offline kingsley

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 12:23:42 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Yes I did that one... thats the first one.  When I checked the properties it came up showing PhotoMechanicProperties, rather than 'cache'.  The size of its folder contents was 9.14MB.  So you can see 13 File Properties windows, for each of the directories in that diagnostic window on the right. Cheers K 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 08:57:18 AM »
OK.  Well I don't know how Windows 10 calculates usage, but clearly it is incorrect in regards to the few places that PM stores files (the install directory, preferences directory, and cache).

-Kirk

Offline jwvaughn

• Retired programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2016, 03:31:56 PM »
OK.  Well I don't know how Windows 10 calculates usage, but clearly it is incorrect in regards to the few places that PM stores files (the install directory, preferences directory, and cache).

-Kirk

The problem caught my interest and I checked my own PC running Win 10.

The reported installation is 1.7Gb but looking at every thing I could find for PM, the most I could come up with was a bit over 400Mb (folders I looked at: Programs, Program Data, Roaming, Cache and Start).  I also deleted everything in prefetch with no change in reported size.

I checked a couple of other apps and they also were way off.

An internet search revealed no clues as to how MS calculates the value.  Really an odd phenomena!

Jerry