Author Topic: Where's cataloging?  (Read 29643 times)

Offline ChrisGVE

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Where's cataloging?
« on: December 16, 2016, 07:54:13 PM »
Maybe I've missed an announcement but I am wondering what's up with CameraBits. PM is a great tool and still rocks even on macOS sierra, though it starts to show its age and somewhat it worries me that in the not too far future we'll hear that CameraBits and PM are no more. That would really be a bummer.
This being said, there's nothing wrong with PM just that a few things could be done more elegantly, but as long as it's fast and does the job I'm fine with it.

I've read in multiple forum posts, pretty old ones, that CameraBits was working on a Cataloging software. Sounds like an intriguing proposition coming from the authors of my favorite "ingestor" and metadata manager, but since about 5-6 years there were no more comment about it. Is the project dead? and if so, what's the plan for PM? Are we going to version 6 instead?

Fellow PM users, what's your take?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Where's cataloging?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 09:29:11 PM »
Maybe I've missed an announcement but I am wondering what's up with CameraBits. PM is a great tool and still rocks even on macOS sierra, though it starts to show its age and somewhat it worries me that in the not too far future we'll hear that CameraBits and PM are no more. That would really be a bummer.
This being said, there's nothing wrong with PM just that a few things could be done more elegantly, but as long as it's fast and does the job I'm fine with it.

I've read in multiple forum posts, pretty old ones, that CameraBits was working on a Cataloging software. Sounds like an intriguing proposition coming from the authors of my favorite "ingestor" and metadata manager, but since about 5-6 years there were no more comment about it. Is the project dead? and if so, what's the plan for PM? Are we going to version 6 instead?

We're working on it every work day.  Big things are in store.  PM6 is going to be a 64-bit application with advanced cataloging capabilities.  When we get closer to release, you'll definitely hear about it.

-Kirk

Offline fabianlujan

• sports photographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 04:06:37 AM »
When we get closer to release, you'll definitely hear about it.

Do you have an estimated release time frame for PM6?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 09:59:46 AM »
Fabian,

When we get closer to release, you'll definitely hear about it.

Do you have an estimated release time frame for PM6?

We're working to get it done as soon as possible but we don't project release dates.

-Kirk

Offline mvalent

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 08:39:53 AM »
We're working to get it done as soon as possible but we don't project release dates.
Don't you have enough with lies ? I wonder who can still believe this.
Fabian, I suggest you have a look somewhere else. Catalog project is dead.

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 10:17:03 AM »
mvalent,

Please keep your discussion civil. Thank you. We're hard at work on our next release. The project is very much alive, and we don't comment on release dates now precisely to avoid misleading anyone. 

Regards,

Mick

Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline mcasan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 07:50:44 PM »
Mick,

Bare with me......why do we want a database in PM if we are using other apps for DAMs and only want PM to ingest?   The last thing I need is another slow Lr database.   ;)
Olympus E-M1 II & Pro lenses

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 12:09:35 AM »
Bare with me......why do we want a database in PM if we are using other apps for DAMs and only want PM to ingest?   The last thing I need is another slow Lr database.   ;)

If you don't want to catalog your images, you don't have to.  It won't get in your way.

-Kirk

Offline ijrhdrphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 08:33:20 AM »
Greetings,

Newbie here to PM.  I just switched over from Apple Photos.

My question is, should we prepare our file structure and/or methods in preparation for PM 6 which will have the cataloging?

So far, I am happy with PM 5 that I can now have a better integration with DXO Optics Pro.  I am still learning and adapting my workflow.

Best regards,

Herb

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 10:23:16 PM »
Herb,

My question is, should we prepare our file structure and/or methods in preparation for PM 6 which will have the cataloging?

Nothing special needs to be done on your part.  Catalog Ingest will search for photos and videos wherever you tell it to look and it performs an exhaustive search just like Ingest does.

-Kirk

Offline ijrhdrphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 06:28:06 AM »
Thanx for the reply Kirk  :)

Offline JordanMarkus

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2017, 09:29:52 AM »
Hi Kirk!
First of all thanks for all your work, I absolutely love PhotoMechanic.
I was wondering if you could share a few more details, to the extent that you are permitted, about the upcoming version.
Namely what other functions are being considered or worked out apart the cataloging/searching module. Will it have any sort of output module as in Bridge, contact sheet or PDF output, or anything like that? Also, the million dollar question :) Any update on when? Can you at least say "late this year" or "sooner than you expect" or something vague like that :)
Thanks and have a great day!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2017, 10:03:09 AM »
Jordan,

I was wondering if you could share a few more details, to the extent that you are permitted, about the upcoming version.
Namely what other functions are being considered or worked out apart the cataloging/searching module. Will it have any sort of output module as in Bridge, contact sheet or PDF output, or anything like that?

Nothing like that is currently planned.  If you have specific suggestions for a feature that would be useful for a number of PM users, please request it in the Feature Requests board.

Also, the million dollar question :) Any update on when? Can you at least say "late this year" or "sooner than you expect" or something vague like that :)

Thanks for your interest. As stated above, we’re not commenting on the release date.  When it is ready we will announce it as loudly as we can.

-Kirk

Offline JordanMarkus

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2017, 08:12:49 PM »
Is the website redesign a sign that you guys are getting ready to launch a new product?   ;D
I don't understand the secrecy, really. We are not asking for release date, maybe that's your reason, you don't want pressure or to disappoint if the deadline is not met but at this point the cat is out of the bag, we all know it is coming. A simple "soon", "months and months away" or "next year" would suffice.  Or is there another reason for keeping the curtains so tightly shut? 

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2017, 08:41:05 AM »
A simple "soon", "months and months away" or "next year" would suffice. 

We are very eager to share all the work we've done, and as soon as it is ready we will shout it out loud.  Until then, talking about release dates before it is ready is counterproductive. But, if you promise that a simple "soon" will suffice, then...

Soon.

Mick
Mick O
Camera Bits