Author Topic: Raw & Jpeg workflow - help needed  (Read 4813 times)

Offline Cano

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Raw & Jpeg workflow - help needed
« on: October 06, 2017, 10:06:48 AM »
Hi,

I'm looking for some advice to work out the most efficient workflow for the type of shoot I use PM5 for.

The scenario is that I'm at an event and shooting throughout the day, in the region of 2000 shots per day. I've got my cameras set up to to save RAW to the CF card and JPEG to the SD. Approx 3 times during the day I return to my laptop in an office and ingest all of the jpegs to an external USB Hard Drive, then quickly scan through them tagging the good shots.

Those then get cropped and uploaded to a Smugmug account direct from PM5 with no other editing.

What I need help with is the next stage, where I import those images to Lightroom to make some more detailed edits and will inevitably start to want the RAWs of some shots. How can I tag certain images in Photo Mechanic and then just ingest RAWs from the CF card for those shots?

I want to avoid a workflow where I ingest the RAWs initially as that then becomes time consuming and slows things down considerably.

Can this be done in PM5, or does anyone know if I could do it in Lightroom? Currently I've got a Lightroom library set up where I've tagged the images (jpegs) in PM5 and then imported them to Lightroom. Can I import the RAWs that match only these jepgs in LR?

Thanks,

Cano

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Raw & Jpeg workflow - help needed
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 01:53:05 PM »
I'm looking for some advice to work out the most efficient workflow for the type of shoot I use PM5 for.

The scenario is that I'm at an event and shooting throughout the day, in the region of 2000 shots per day. I've got my cameras set up to to save RAW to the CF card and JPEG to the SD. Approx 3 times during the day I return to my laptop in an office and ingest all of the jpegs to an external USB Hard Drive, then quickly scan through them tagging the good shots.

Those then get cropped and uploaded to a Smugmug account direct from PM5 with no other editing.

What I need help with is the next stage, where I import those images to Lightroom to make some more detailed edits and will inevitably start to want the RAWs of some shots. How can I tag certain images in Photo Mechanic and then just ingest RAWs from the CF card for those shots?

There is no way to ingest only certain photos unless you tag (lock) them in the camera.

I want to avoid a workflow where I ingest the RAWs initially as that then becomes time consuming and slows things down considerably.

Can this be done in PM5, or does anyone know if I could do it in Lightroom? Currently I've got a Lightroom library set up where I've tagged the images (jpegs) in PM5 and then imported them to Lightroom. Can I import the RAWs that match only these jepgs in LR?

Not that I know of.  But if you ingest the RAW files into the same folder as your JPEGs, the RAW photos will pair up with the JPEGs.  If you then know what JPEGs are the ones that you want the RAWs for you could select them, then un-pair them (View menu->Combined RAW+JPEG).  They both will be selected, but you could then deselect the JPEGs and drag the RAWs onto LR and it should offer to import them.

There is no way to make Ingest ignore RAWs that don't match selected JPEGs.

-Kirk

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
Re: Raw & Jpeg workflow - help needed
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 03:17:55 AM »
You could ingest all the raws at the end of the day, and upon your PM preferences (IPTC/XMP read first from JPEG), you could pair them with the tagged jpegs, deleting the rest. That's what I do if I am shooting raw+jpeg and filing the (in-camera tagged) jpegs directly from camera through wifi, when I want to revisit the raw files later. I normally have PM set to read metadata from raws first, because that makes more sense to me, but it's easy to change once in a while.

Also, if you have a set of jpegs in PM, you could do a Save selection to a text file (which saves a list of the selected filenames), edit the text file with any text editor doing a find and replace (changing .jpg to .cr2 or whatever), browsing your card in PM, and do a Load selection with the edited text file - that will select just the corresponding raws, and you could copy them to disk.