Author Topic: Photo Mechanic Closing Whilst Editing  (Read 5709 times)

Offline Bartman54

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Photo Mechanic Closing Whilst Editing
« on: November 16, 2017, 11:01:56 AM »
Hi - I hope this is a simple problem to resolve.  When I export images to Adobe Raw to edit, I find on occasions that PM closes [it does not hang but seems to close in the background].  I have tried a reinstall of PM, and seem to be continually upgrading Adobe - but the problem still exists.  I am running Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 18980 (60d39ba)
Mac OS X 10.13.1
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010)
Adobe ACR 10.0.0.827
Adobe Photoshop CC Release 19 
Any ideas?
Thanks

Steve

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Photo Mechanic Closing Whilst Editing
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 01:12:38 PM »
Hi - I hope this is a simple problem to resolve.  When I export images to Adobe Raw to edit, I find on occasions that PM closes [it does not hang but seems to close in the background].  I have tried a reinstall of PM, and seem to be continually upgrading Adobe - but the problem still exists.  I am running Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 18980 (60d39ba)
Mac OS X 10.13.1
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010)
Adobe ACR 10.0.0.827
Adobe Photoshop CC Release 19 
Any ideas?

Perhaps there is some setting in the OS that makes programs that are not being used for a while to be closed?  I'd like to see your Photo Mechanic log.  In Photo Mechanic go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Finder window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Bartman54

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 03:00:33 PM »
Thanks - Hopefully attached.  Your reply made got me thinking - I have recently replaced the HD with an SSD so reset the Power Saver.  It was on to Close Disc when possible.  Had no effect.  Thanks. S   

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 05:17:32 PM »
Thanks - Hopefully attached.  Your reply made got me thinking - I have recently replaced the HD with an SSD so reset the Power Saver.  It was on to Close Disc when possible.  Had no effect.  Thanks. S

Looks like PM is likely crashing while it is in the background.  I see several instances of the log abruptly ending without the sign that PM quit normally.

You're not getting any alerts from macOS about any applications crashing?

-Kirk

Offline bartman1954

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 02:53:37 AM »
Kirk - Thanks for taking a look.  I am not getting anything from the OS, which led me to think it was closing rather than crashing.  Any ideas what I could monitor to get a better idea?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 08:16:16 AM »
Kirk - Thanks for taking a look.  I am not getting anything from the OS, which led me to think it was closing rather than crashing.  Any ideas what I could monitor to get a better idea?

Look for messages related to Photo Mechanic in the Console application (it's in your Utilities directory inside your Applications directory.)

-Kirk