Author Topic: Impossible to render some (not all) files made with Samsung Galaxy S9+  (Read 4513 times)

Offline Frederic

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hello,
I am playing with my new Samsung Galaxy S9+ smartphone, and I have found that for some pictures PM is not able to render them (message "Unable to render Image" displayed in red on black background).
No problem to display these pictures with Windows, Photoshop CC , LightRoom Classic, ACDSee Pro 10 ...
Same problem with DxO PhotoLab (PM is not alone..)

These pictures were taken with the 'Panorama' option of the smartphone.
But most of the panoramic pictures are displayed OK with PM

I am on W10 with PM5/19252.

Sample file here: http://dl.free.fr/ifFGv9agl

Nothing urgent.

Thanks

Frederic

Note: pictures made with S9+ are awesome (I am currently using a Nikon D500).

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Frederic,

I am playing with my new Samsung Galaxy S9+ smartphone, and I have found that for some pictures PM is not able to render them (message "Unable to render Image" displayed in red on black background).
No problem to display these pictures with Windows, Photoshop CC , LightRoom Classic, ACDSee Pro 10 ...
Same problem with DxO PhotoLab (PM is not alone..)

These pictures were taken with the 'Panorama' option of the smartphone.
But most of the panoramic pictures are displayed OK with PM

I am on W10 with PM5/19252.

Sample file here: http://dl.free.fr/ifFGv9agl

The sample file causes the reference-standard JPEG decoder library that we use to issue the following warnings/errors while handling this image:

Invalid SOS parameters for sequential JPEG
Unsupported marker type 0xf6

Samsung has had problems generating JPEGs as far back as the Samsung S5 (according to my Google research).

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
I have modified PM to relax its criteria when loading malformed JPEGs.  Your sample image had some oddly located JPEG markers that the JPEG decoder didn't like, but it still managed to decode the entire image just fine.

The next update to PM5 will have this fix.  If you'd like early access to a build (not a final build) then let me know and I'll make one and post the link.

-Kirk

Offline Frederic

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Thank you very much for your prompt answer and congratulations for the fix.
Personaly I am not in a hurry and can wait for the next official release, or if you are interested I can test the fix. As you want.
Regards
Frederic

Offline Frederic

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Everything works great now with Version 5 Build 19395

Thank you Kirk