Author Topic: PM/LR workflow issues.  (Read 4782 times)

Offline John Beasey

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM/LR workflow issues.
« on: May 07, 2018, 01:08:29 AM »
So this is probably me just doing things backward but Im hoping there is a work around I havent came across yet.

My normal workflow the morning after a wedding was import into lightroom, build smart previews, edit a small taster of maybe 50 photos for the couple export that and send it on.

I have been trying to incorporate photomechanic into this process by going photomechanic for import>lightroom build previews> edit taster but the problem is later, when I come back to do the full edit, I reopen PM and use that for my selection process, but when I go back to lightroom to update the preferences to show my full selection from PM I lose the edits I would have made to the initial taster images?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM/LR workflow issues.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 08:03:03 AM »
So this is probably me just doing things backward but Im hoping there is a work around I havent came across yet.

My normal workflow the morning after a wedding was import into lightroom, build smart previews, edit a small taster of maybe 50 photos for the couple export that and send it on.

I have been trying to incorporate photomechanic into this process by going photomechanic for import>lightroom build previews> edit taster but the problem is later, when I come back to do the full edit, I reopen PM and use that for my selection process, but when I go back to lightroom to update the preferences to show my full selection from PM I lose the edits I would have made to the initial taster images?

There should be no loss if you have Lr update the XMP sidecar files with your edits.  PM will preserve them as it makes its changes to the XMP sidecar files.  We do not recommend embedding XMP on RAW files if you use Adobe products.  You will also need to force Lr to read the metadata from the files when you return to Lr or Lr will ignore the changes, preferring its own copy in its database.

Various parts of the PM Preferences dialog have snapshot buttons (looks like a lightning bolt) that offer Adobe-specific settings.  We suggest you use them in PM.  They're in the General preferences and the IPTC/XMP preferences sections.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline John Beasey

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 11:18:00 AM »
Thanks for the response Kirk, really appreciate it. Il try that next time so, fingers crossed :)

Offline John Beasey

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 01:14:02 PM »
Hey Kirk,

I have been playing around with that and to no avail, I have tried telling LR to read meta data from file (photo>read meta data from file)
and I have tried clicking the explanation mark and if I say import settings from disk, I get the colour label I would have marked it with in PM but I then lose my edits

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 01:21:26 PM »
John,

I have been playing around with that and to no avail, I have tried telling LR to read meta data from file (photo>read meta data from file)
and I have tried clicking the explanation mark and if I say import settings from disk, I get the colour label I would have marked it with in PM but I then lose my edits

Does the XMP sidecar file prior to setting the color class in PM have LR edits in it?  If it doesn't then PM can't possibly preserve them.  If you'd like me to look into the files, please post them here or provide a link to them so that I can access them.

-Kirk

Offline John Beasey

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 12:33:55 AM »
Yes the morning after a wedding I do a quick fly through and edit maybe 50 photos from the 2500 odd to send the couple as a taster, I was then later opening PM to view and cull the entire wedding day. Its the initial edits of these 50 images is what is being lost

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 07:00:33 AM »
Yes the morning after a wedding I do a quick fly through and edit maybe 50 photos from the 2500 odd to send the couple as a taster, I was then later opening PM to view and cull the entire wedding day. Its the initial edits of these 50 images is what is being lost

I need to know if XMP sidecar files are being produced by LR and whether or not they have your adjustment data in them.  If they do not, then PM is not at fault.  If they do have your edits in them (you'd have to open the XMP files with a text editor and see if the adjustment data is there) then PM could be at fault though adjusting your Preferences in PM should solve the problem.

If you want hands-on support, contact our support folks at:

By email: support@camerabits.com

By phone: +1 503.547.2800 option 2

Hours: Mon-Fri, 9:00am-5:00pm [PST/PDT]