Author Topic: .MP4 movies don't open and show up with red text. Latest build + Mac OS 10.12.6  (Read 2468 times)

Offline DominicJames

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hi guy's,

I have an odd problem, I've always worked across two machines, a Macbook Pro (late 2013) now running OS X 10.13.4, and a desktop Mac Pro Tower running 10.12.16. I have the latest build on PM on both 5.0 19395. On the Mac Pro Tower PM won't open or recognise .mp4 files. It sees and opens .mov file though. On the Macbook Pro it sees and opens both formats.

Not sure how long it's been like this as I don't usual want to look at movies in PM but have a stack of dailies to go through so thought I'd try it out for this. Great on the laptop but doesn't open on the Mac Pro. They show up but with red text for the name.

I've tried clearing the full preferences to reset it as new, still the same. I've attached a screen shot of .mov and .mp4

Any suggestions on why .mp4?

Thanks

Dominic

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Dominic,

I have an odd problem, I've always worked across two machines, a Macbook Pro (late 2013) now running OS X 10.13.4, and a desktop Mac Pro Tower running 10.12.16. I have the latest build on PM on both 5.0 19395. On the Mac Pro Tower PM won't open or recognise .mp4 files. It sees and opens .mov file though. On the Macbook Pro it sees and opens both formats.

Not sure how long it's been like this as I don't usual want to look at movies in PM but have a stack of dailies to go through so thought I'd try it out for this. Great on the laptop but doesn't open on the Mac Pro. They show up but with red text for the name.

I've tried clearing the full preferences to reset it as new, still the same. I've attached a screen shot of .mov and .mp4

Any suggestions on why .mp4?

I expect it is because your system running 10.12 has a QuickTime library that doesn't support that video format well and that your system running 10.13 has a newer QuickTime library.  PM uses QuickTime to render/show movies.

-Kirk