Author Topic: Hierarchy In Keywords  (Read 1777 times)

Offline ejatpa

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hierarchy In Keywords
« on: August 10, 2018, 01:16:10 PM »
windows 10
PM 5.0
build 19631  bf87516

Is there a way to change the symbol PM uses to designate hierarchy in the structured keywords panel?  I only see the checkbox which brings up the "l".  I want to change it to match a catalog program I may choose to use recognizes.  For example, ACDC uses the < symbol.  IF only sees commas it will not maintain a hierarchy.

Thanks

P.S.  I hope this is not a duplicate entry.  I looked under my account and could not find my first entry attempt.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Hierarchy In Keywords
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 01:51:12 PM »
Is there a way to change the symbol PM uses to designate hierarchy in the structured keywords panel?  I only see the checkbox which brings up the "l".  I want to change it to match a catalog program I may choose to use recognizes.  For example, ACDC uses the < symbol.  IF only sees commas it will not maintain a hierarchy.

No.  We use the '|' because it is what Adobe uses to separate levels of keyword hierarchy.  It has become an 'industry standard'.  Is there no way to customize what your catalog program recognizes as the separator?

-Kirk

Offline ejatpa

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 03:35:12 PM »
I was trying to use AfterShotPro or ACDC and it does not appear they allow you to change the character to maintain a hierarchy.  I don't want to use Lightroom.  Do you have any suggestions to consider?

Thanks in advance.

EJ

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 05:27:47 PM »
I was trying to use AfterShotPro or ACDC and it does not appear they allow you to change the character to maintain a hierarchy.  I don't want to use Lightroom.  Do you have any suggestions to consider?

We have no way to allow the user to modify the separator character.  I don't have any solution or workaround for you.

-Kirk

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 03:29:07 PM »
When I first started using Photo Mechanic, it was possible to set the delimiter character. In update or upgrade (maybe it was version 3 to version 4 I don't remember) that option disappeared and PM went to the pipe. Kirk and I exchanged a couple of emails and I got the same response: it's the way Adobe does it. Anyway, I didn't use Adobe products and needed a colon separator for my catalog program. I hope I'm remembering this correctly. I think this was my workaround, Actually, a couple thing to try.

In the Root column set your first level. In the child column set both the root word and the child word separated by the delimiter you need. In the third column set the root, child, and second child.

It would be something like this using the colon as a separator:

Root  Animals
First child  Animals:Mammals
Second child  Animals:Mammals:Bears

You get the idea. It's not as clean as it would be using the default delimiter but might work for you.

Another workaround would be to use only the root and list every level of the hierarchy.

Animals
Animals:Mammals
Animals:Mammals:Bears

Again, it isn't as clean as the default but might work to get around your problem.

I hope I'm remembering this correctly. My catalog app now allows the user to set the delimiter so I've changed to the pipe as a separator so the PM default works ok.