Author Topic: Beta II - the color management icon doesn't work anymore  (Read 5183 times)

Offline marta

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Beta II - the color management icon doesn't work anymore
« on: March 28, 2007, 08:18:04 AM »
Kirk,

The color management icon doesn't work anymore. No matter if it's "on"or "off", the images do not change.

Thanks,
Marta

WinXP SP2, P4 3GHz, 1GB Ram

« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 08:28:33 AM by Marta Franco »

Offline marta

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Beta II - the color management icon doesn't work anymore
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 11:29:33 AM »
I can see now that the color management icon is working well when the embedded ICC profile is different than the space color profile. This behavior is different than the old version but it's certainly more usefull now.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 12:15:56 PM »
Marta,

I can see now that the color management icon is working well when the embedded ICC profile is different than the space color profile. This behavior is different than the old version but it's certainly more usefull now.

I tried to duplicate your issue and it appears to be working fine for me.  I can see a significant difference on my system.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 11:51:14 AM »
Marta,

What does "the space color profile" mean?  What profile do you have assigned to your monitor?

-Kirk

Offline marta

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 12:57:35 PM »
Marta,

What does "the space color profile" mean?  What profile do you have assigned to your monitor?

-Kirk

Kirk,

Answering your questions:
- my monitor profile is sony_l65.icm;
- with "space color profile" I mean the original space color used to shoot (configured in the camera).
- with "icc profile" I mean the profile embedded by photo editors in order to translate the color space to each output device (sRGB for online publishing, custom printer icc profile for printing, etc).

On the 4.5 version, turning on / turning off the color management icon only gives distinct results if the original space color is different than the ICC embedded profile (for instance, if I shoot Adobe RGB and after the ingestion I embed sRGB).

I thought there was a problem with PM 4.5 because it was acting differently than the old version but after some tests I realized that the actual behavior is much more useful. Now I can see how my picture will look like according to the output profile and then compare it with the original version turning the color icon on and off.

Thanks,
Marta 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 02:22:56 PM by marta »

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 04:02:24 PM »

Marta,

I've fixed this issue in the development 4.5.1 update.  Please see the following thread for more info.

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=1259.0

BTW - regarding embedding other profiles into a JPEG: you should not be embedding a profile into a JPEG unless you are confident that the actual pixel data is in the color space of the profile you are embedding.  So, for example, if you have your camera set to AdobeRGB, then the pixels are in the AdobeRGB color space, and you should NOT embed some other profile like sRGB.  This would cause other ICC-saavy applications to assume your pixels are in sRGB color space (and therefore causing the photo to become color MISmanaged, e.g. desaturated).  The only reason it should be necessary to embed ICC profiles is if you are using an older model camera with pre Exif 2.21 metadata (e.g. Canon 1D) and are shooting in AdobeRGB (colormode).  If you camera is Exif 2.21 compatible, and the applications you are using are also Exif 2.21 compatible, then there shouldn't be any need to embed a profile.  The exception to this rule, of course, is if you yourself are very ICC-saavy and have a custom ICC profile for your camera in a controlled lighting situation, and then you may choose to embed a (very large) ICC profile.  Even then, I would let this operation be done on individual photos within Photoshop using "Assign Profile".

Hope this helps...

--dennis