Author Topic: Canon error 70  (Read 3912 times)

Offline scofie65

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Canon error 70
« on: April 19, 2019, 08:27:48 AM »
I've come across an issue with my Canon 5d mark iii, and wonder if anyone else has had this.
Recently after I've taken pics with compact and SD cards, then onto my MacBook Air, opened and tagged in the new Photomechic 6, then the RAW files are opened in Photoshop CC 2019, then saved to the desktop.
After I eject the card, then put it back into the Canon, I get an 'error 70 message' (from a Canon website - Description: A malfunction with the images has been detected) and the camera basically shuts down. This happens with both compact and SD cards.
One of my friends has the same issue, he had a Canon 7d mark ii, and he found that if you put the card back into the mac, use Disk Utility to erase the card, then put the card back into the camera, then you can format the card, the camera works, no error 70 message.
This hasn't happened before, so can't say for sure where the issue seems to be happening.
Any ideas?

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Canon error 70
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 08:40:14 AM »
Are you working on the images (with PM and/or CC) directly on the card? Then the added metadata/edits could have confused the camera. Are you embedding metadata or are you using sidecar files?
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline scofie65

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 09:20:53 AM »
I tag in Photomechanic, and open those images from the card using Camera RAW, work on them then save the files. I then eject the card, and add caption info on the saved files.

This is a new problem I'm having with the Canon, never had a problem before, haven't changed my work flow.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 09:46:41 AM »
I tag in Photomechanic, and open those images from the card using Camera RAW, work on them then save the files. I then eject the card, and add caption info on the saved files.

This is a new problem I'm having with the Canon, never had a problem before, haven't changed my work flow.

Are you embedding XMP in your CR2/CR3 files?  If so, then you're modifying the RAW image and the camera won't handle the modified images properly.  We suggest downloading your images to your computer first, leaving the files untouched on the card.  They're the only copy of the images you have until you get them onto your computer.

-Kirk

Offline scofie65

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 12:08:28 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I have not changed any aspect of how I work, haven't changed any settings on the camera, and this is only a recent problem.
Most times when I'm working I haven't time to download the images to work on, tag them in PM6 and use camera RAW, as I usually tag, save then take the card back out and put it back in the camera, fire a frame then get an Error 70 message.
I have no problem using my 1DX Mark i, only the 5D, both of which I've ha d for several years. As i said earlier, a friend has the same issues using a Canon 7d Mark ii