Author Topic: "Contact sheet" terminology (in a catalog context)  (Read 3960 times)

Offline syncrasy

• View Profile
"Contact sheet" terminology (in a catalog context)
« on: April 24, 2019, 10:35:48 AM »
Questions for PM Plus beta designers and testers (I'm not a PM6 user, so can't test PM Plus)...

1. Am I correct in assuming that, in the PM universe, "Contact Sheet" is a novel use of the term, i.e., "the main window to view thumbnails," not an output document (e.g., paper sheet in traditional photography or PDF/JPG file in other catalog software)?

2. In the context of a PM Plus catalog, what is the purpose/value of a "Contact Sheet" (versus the main Browse window)?

Thanks.
-- Mark

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: "Contact sheet" terminology (in a catalog context)
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 10:46:47 AM »
Questions for PM Plus beta designers and testers (I'm not a PM6 user, so can't test PM Plus)...

1. Am I correct in assuming that, in the PM universe, "Contact Sheet" is a novel use of the term, i.e., "the main window to view thumbnails," not an output document (e.g., paper sheet in traditional photography or PDF/JPG file in other catalog software)?

It's just what we call the thumbnail browse window.  PM can have one or many Contact Sheet tabs in a single window.

2. In the context of a PM Plus catalog, what is the purpose/value of a "Contact Sheet" (versus the main Browse window)?

They are one in the same thing.  A Contact Sheet is a browse window.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 11:21:34 AM »
Look at the contact sheet as similar to the printed contact sheet you would have in the old film days. To this I can add that it is very nice to be able to have multiple contact sheets open. Much better than in e.g. Lightroom where there really is only one such thing :)
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline syncrasy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 01:01:40 PM »
I stand corrected. It sounds like "Contact Sheet" is being used in an appropriately metaphorical way, not a novel way. If/when I get PM Plus I'll better understand how it works within a catalog setting.
-- Mark