Photo Mechanic Plus > Feature Requests

double keywords

<< < (2/3) > >>

Kirk Baker:

--- Quote from: christophmerth on April 25, 2019, 02:43:57 PM ---Thank you again - I will try this workflow.
--- End quote ---

It doesn't exist yet.

--- Quote from: christophmerth on April 25, 2019, 02:43:57 PM ---But this will not solve the first problem, the double and long list of keywords. Would it be possible to implement a choice to select wether you want to see all keywords or the hierarchical keywords only?

--- End quote ---

I suppose there could be two separate branches of the browse tree, and two separate filters, but the lists will individually be the same length as they were when they were combined.  Data is data.

-Kirk

Michael Naylor:

--- Quote from: christophmerth on April 25, 2019, 04:53:53 AM ---In the Browse-Tab / Keywords I can see the hierarchical keywords als hierachical (with the arrow for dropdown) and a second time as "flat" keywords - this not only unnecessary but also confusing and the list gets very long.

--- End quote ---

Lightroom presents the keywords as a hierarchical list with check boxes to assign to single or multiple images.  Simple.

carlseibert:
Mike - Lightroom embeds hierarchical keywords in the metadata in two (actually three) places in order to make that happen. That's where the duplicate keywords come from. There's no simple or perfect solution to the problem. The good news about the way Photo Mechanic does it is that PM makes sure you don't lose your keywords.

I think you can prevent Lightroom from writing the extra, proprietary, field that causes the problem. But I don't know if doing so would disable any features you might want within Lightroom. 

Michael Naylor:

--- Quote from: carlseibert on April 29, 2019, 01:26:54 PM ---Mike - Lightroom embeds hierarchical keywords in the metadata in two (actually three) places in order to make that happen. That's where the duplicate keywords come from. There's no simple or perfect solution to the problem. The good news about the way Photo Mechanic does it is that PM makes sure you don't lose your keywords.

I think you can prevent Lightroom from writing the extra, proprietary, field that causes the problem. But I don't know if doing so would disable any features you might want within Lightroom.

--- End quote ---

As you say, LR writes keywords in both hierarchical and flat form.  That is helpful for software that is not hierarchical aware.  However, LR doesn't display both forms - only the hierarchical form.  Capture One displays both and I find that to be confusing and unnecessary.

carlseibert:
Yes, it looks a mess. Fortunately, the duplicated keywords don't affect search.

If a program could be sure that only Lightroom/Capture One/ Photo Mechanic had touched the keywords, it wouldn't be too hard to suppress the lr:hierarchalsubject field and just display the more readable contents of the standard keywords field.

But you can't count on that, thus the mess. I suppose a program could go through all the keywords in the different fields, match them up and make a determination as to whether or not all the lr:hierarchalsubject keywords were properly represented in the normal fields, display accordingly, and write any edits into the appropriate field(s). Phew. What a hassle. I can't blame developers for not going there.

So, I just stew at Adobe for doing such a silly thing in the first place. This certainly isn't the first time their zeal for a new feature has overrun contemplation and common sense. The XMP namespaces are chock a block with instances where they have done stuff in haste the rest of us have to struggle with for all eternity. (Or until we all migrate away from their products, whichever comes first. Like I said, sometimes they make my head explode. Sometimes, they're brilliant, but jeeez.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version