Author Topic: Win10 - Still cannot see many screen elements  (Read 3532 times)

Offline William R Wood

• View Profile
Win10 - Still cannot see many screen elements
« on: May 25, 2019, 08:12:14 AM »
Downloaded Beta 3215 last night. I see no difference in my main issues.
The announcement yesterday says:

"Improvement: Item counts should always be visible in catalog filter/browser. High DPI displays on Windows 10 will still experience clipping issues."

I posted about the scaling/Win10 problem on May 16 but my screen still looks exactly like the screen shot I posted then. This is not merely a clipping issue, there are many screen elements that are simply not there! There are no Item Counts visible no matter how wide I make the Organizer panel. I still cannot see Browse or Collections, they are not clipped, they are not there. I still cannot use the Filter function since there is no "+" symbol or tool icon. And I cannot use my keywords because there is no scroll bar and my keyword list is way too long to fit on the screen so I can't see or use most of my keywords.

As noted in my May 16 post I do use 3840x2160 (4K) screens and run Win10 Pro. I don't know what the problem is but it is not a high resolution monitor issue. As I also said in my May 16 post I tried my old HP 1920x1080 monitor on my laptop and it has the exact same problems as the new 4k screens.

Also many of the screen elements are too small when I run my 4K monitors at the recommended font size. Some elements are almost impossible to read. This requires that I use Win10 display properties and increase the font size but this makes everything too big and negates the object of 4k screens which are sharp enough to read small text and therefore allow much more info to be displayed on screen. I have other types of photo and financial software on my computers and none of them have scaling problems this serious.

I understand this is beta software but am wondering what the actual issue is - your mention of high resolution screens concerns me because my problems are exactly the same on a standard resolution screen.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Win10 - Still cannot see many screen elements
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 11:56:43 AM »
William,

Downloaded Beta 3215 last night. I see no difference in my main issues.
The announcement yesterday says:

"Improvement: Item counts should always be visible in catalog filter/browser. High DPI displays on Windows 10 will still experience clipping issues."

I posted about the scaling/Win10 problem on May 16 but my screen still looks exactly like the screen shot I posted then. This is not merely a clipping issue, there are many screen elements that are simply not there! There are no Item Counts visible no matter how wide I make the Organizer panel. I still cannot see Browse or Collections, they are not clipped, they are not there. I still cannot use the Filter function since there is no "+" symbol or tool icon. And I cannot use my keywords because there is no scroll bar and my keyword list is way too long to fit on the screen so I can't see or use most of my keywords.

As noted in my May 16 post I do use 3840x2160 (4K) screens and run Win10 Pro. I don't know what the problem is but it is not a high resolution monitor issue. As I also said in my May 16 post I tried my old HP 1920x1080 monitor on my laptop and it has the exact same problems as the new 4k screens.

Also many of the screen elements are too small when I run my 4K monitors at the recommended font size. Some elements are almost impossible to read. This requires that I use Win10 display properties and increase the font size but this makes everything too big and negates the object of 4k screens which are sharp enough to read small text and therefore allow much more info to be displayed on screen. I have other types of photo and financial software on my computers and none of them have scaling problems this serious.

I understand this is beta software but am wondering what the actual issue is - your mention of high resolution screens concerns me because my problems are exactly the same on a standard resolution screen.

It is a scaling problem.  I expect that you have your overall UI scaling to something higher than 100%.  Until the Catalog UI handles UI scaling higher than 100%, you will continue to have problems with the Catalog UI elements.  This problem has not been fixed.

Generally people who have a low resolution screen leave the UI scaling at 100%.  This problem can happen on a low resolution display if it is set to higher than 100% scaling.  The resolution of the display does not really matter.  It is purely a matter of scaling not being handled properly.

-Kirk

Offline William R Wood

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 02:32:50 PM »
William,

It is a scaling problem.  I expect that you have your overall UI scaling to something higher than 100%.  Until the Catalog UI handles UI scaling higher than 100%, you will continue to have problems with the Catalog UI elements.  This problem has not been fixed.

Generally people who have a low resolution screen leave the UI scaling at 100%.  This problem can happen on a low resolution display if it is set to higher than 100% scaling.  The resolution of the display does not really matter.  It is purely a matter of scaling not being handled properly.

-Kirk

For whatever it's worth if I set the UI scaling to 100% nothing changes except that everything becomes super small and my screen fonts are virtually unreadable. The Item Counts and other missing screen elements I mentioned are still not there.

The native scaling for my laptop's 17" built in screen is 250% and the native scaling for my 28" external monitor is 150% - these are the settings recommended by Win10 and they produce very nice size images and fonts on both screens for most software except the missing elements on PM+. In order to comfortably read the screen fonts in the dialog boxes on PM+ I usually run my 28" external monitor at 175%. I cannot use the laptop's built in monitor at higher scaling because there is not enough room on that small screen to see a reasonable amount of the program window.

I have had a similar issue with some of my financial software but the developers did fix it with updates. Not trying to bug you, just wanted you to know that the problem occurs on standard and high res screens even if they are set at 100%.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 05:13:01 PM »
William,

-Kirk

For whatever it's worth if I set the UI scaling to 100% nothing changes except that everything becomes super small and my screen fonts are virtually unreadable. The Item Counts and other missing screen elements I mentioned are still not there.

The native scaling for my laptop's 17" built in screen is 250% and the native scaling for my 28" external monitor is 150% - these are the settings recommended by Win10 and they produce very nice size images and fonts on both screens for most software except the missing elements on PM+. In order to comfortably read the screen fonts in the dialog boxes on PM+ I usually run my 28" external monitor at 175%. I cannot use the laptop's built in monitor at higher scaling because there is not enough room on that small screen to see a reasonable amount of the program window.

I have had a similar issue with some of my financial software but the developers did fix it with updates. Not trying to bug you, just wanted you to know that the problem occurs on standard and high res screens even if they are set at 100%.

Thank you.  That's good to know.

-Kirk