Author Topic: Hang on Close (OS X)  (Read 2577 times)

Offline JD McDowell

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hang on Close (OS X)
« on: June 17, 2019, 10:21:44 PM »
I've been experiencing an issue with PM6+ not closing. Dialogs will pop up with something about the program taking a while too close. This will eventually end to machine instability and require a reboot. One of my duplicate catalogs will report as locked when reopening PM6+. Happening in Beta 6 and Beta 4.

For what it's worth this may have been started by something I did. I have a 3rd monitor connected to the computer that is strictly for displaying video for clients (its in another area.)

PM6+ will occasionally open dialogs on that monitor, which I don't get to see. This began when this had happened, the program was waiting for a response to a dialog that I didn't know was open so I force quit the application. It's been flakey ever since. From what I can tell this only seems to happen with dialogs related to the Catalogs themselves, IPTC dialogs etc seem to be fine.

What's the procedure to completely ditch the program so I can install it clean again?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Hang on Close (OS X)
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 07:43:10 AM »
I've been experiencing an issue with PM6+ not closing. Dialogs will pop up with something about the program taking a while too close. This will eventually end to machine instability and require a reboot. One of my duplicate catalogs will report as locked when reopening PM6+. Happening in Beta 6 and Beta 4.

For what it's worth this may have been started by something I did. I have a 3rd monitor connected to the computer that is strictly for displaying video for clients (its in another area.)

PM6+ will occasionally open dialogs on that monitor, which I don't get to see. This began when this had happened, the program was waiting for a response to a dialog that I didn't know was open so I force quit the application. It's been flakey ever since. From what I can tell this only seems to happen with dialogs related to the Catalogs themselves, IPTC dialogs etc seem to be fine.

What's the procedure to completely ditch the program so I can install it clean again?

As there is no installer on macOS, you simply move the app to the Trash and empty it.  However, this will leave the preferences and any existing catalogs behind.  You could delete those as well if you wish.

-Kirk

Offline JD McDowell

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Hang on Close (OS X)
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 06:47:48 PM »
Thanks Kirk

It seems the way I had quit the program had left some file handles open. The test db was on a NTFS drive using Tuxera on my Mac. I booted into Windows, ran CHKDSK and cleaned it up. For whatever reason the program wasn't happy till I managed to completely ditch the files.

Everything is running smooth and quick again.

I know it's a work in progress, but so far I'm very pleased with how PM6+ is taking shape.