Author Topic: Can I Capture Incomplete Dates (For Scanned Prints) in PM?  (Read 3909 times)

Offline treetreetree

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Can I Capture Incomplete Dates (For Scanned Prints) in PM?
« on: July 02, 2019, 08:49:15 AM »
I am continuing  my trial of PM to support a print scanning project. Like many folks, I need to capture incomplete dates. Examples are: 1972-03-xx or 198x-12-25.  Does PM allow for this type of metadata? If not, are there any workarounds beyond 1972-01-01 for a print taken sometime in 1972 or 1969-03-01 for a photo taken sometime in March 1969 or is the metadata more appropriate for a keyword?

I understand IPTC extension "Date Created" for artworks allows for incomplete dates, but these scans are certainly not artwork.

Thank you!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Can I Capture Incomplete Dates (For Scanned Prints) in PM?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 09:20:04 AM »
I am continuing  my trial of PM to support a print scanning project. Like many folks, I need to capture incomplete dates. Examples are: 1972-03-xx or 198x-12-25.  Does PM allow for this type of metadata?

No.

If not, are there any workarounds beyond 1972-01-01 for a print taken sometime in 1972 or 1969-03-01 for a photo taken sometime in March 1969 or is the metadata more appropriate for a keyword?

You can certainly choose dates like that in the Metadata Info dialog.  You can also modify the EXIF Capture Time with the Adjust Capture Dates and Times dialog if the images already have the EXIF tag.  Otherwise I suggest using something like ExifTool to do those kinds of modifications.

https://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline treetreetree

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 10:20:14 AM »
Thank you, Kirk.

I was pretty sure that "no" was going to be the answer before I posted the question. But, I wanted to ask anyway.

From my research, capturing incomplete dates is a real headache for scanning projects. I am considering capturing the date part of the filename (e.g. 197203XX) and adding as a keyword attribute to indicate the "date captured" is an approximation for the benefit of future viewers of the archive.

EDIT: Since I name scanned files in the format YYYYMMDD_Location, I can use PM's ability to extract a substring of the file name to capture the information I want using "date taken:  {filenamebase:4,2}/{filenamebase:6,2}/{filenamebase:0,4}". I capture this in the keyword field. It is then easily searchable and provides info to the reader that the date is either an estimate (03/xx/2001) or an actual date (12/25/2003).
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 03:27:02 PM by treetreetree »

Offline marcopolo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2022, 04:47:49 AM »
Hi treetreetree--  Are you still using the system you just described for dating scanned images?  Looks like it's been a couple of years since posting.  Thanks --marcopolo

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2022, 09:18:25 AM »
Hi treetreetree--  Are you still using the system you just described for dating scanned images?  Looks like it's been a couple of years since posting.  Thanks --marcopolo

That user hasn't been on since about a month after that posting.  You could try sending them a personal message and see if they'll respond.  Click on their name and use the "Send PM" link to send them a personal message.  I suggest copying and pasting the URL from their message so that it's easier for them to see what you're talking about.

-Kirk

Offline marcopolo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2022, 08:00:53 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion.  --marcopolo