Author Topic: Beta 7 Keyword selection change causing a big problem  (Read 4916 times)

Offline William R Wood

• View Profile
Beta 7 Keyword selection change causing a big problem
« on: August 11, 2019, 08:56:40 AM »
I am running Beta7 on Win10.
PM+ continues to be mostly unusable for me on Win10 because I cannot see many of the programs features due, I am told, to a scaling issue.
So I use PM+ only for hierarchical keywords but a change in Beta7 is driving me nuts. Prior Beta versions did not have this issue.
I click on a keyword on the left side of the screen to display all images with that keyword. The keyword I click on becomes selected in blue and the images are displayed.
But when I click on a different keyword, the old keyword stays selected and I now have 2 keywords worth of images displayed when I only want the second keyword displayed. I can toggle off the first keyword selection with the spacebar but I keep forgetting to do it or hit the spacebar by mistake with the result that my images are constantly messed up since 2 or more keywords are being displayed instead of one. This is often happens when the new keyword I click on is far away from the first one and I can no longer see it on the screen due to the scaling issue.
Every photo database program I have used un-selects the first keyword when I click on a new keyword. PM+ has changed this industry standard behavior in Beta 7 and it should be restored to normal.
Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Beta 7 Keyword selection change causing a big problem
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 12:01:27 PM »
William,

I am running Beta7 on Win10.
PM+ continues to be mostly unusable for me on Win10 because I cannot see many of the programs features due, I am told, to a scaling issue.
So I use PM+ only for hierarchical keywords but a change in Beta7 is driving me nuts. Prior Beta versions did not have this issue.
I click on a keyword on the left side of the screen to display all images with that keyword. The keyword I click on becomes selected in blue and the images are displayed.
But when I click on a different keyword, the old keyword stays selected and I now have 2 keywords worth of images displayed when I only want the second keyword displayed. I can toggle off the first keyword selection with the spacebar but I keep forgetting to do it or hit the spacebar by mistake with the result that my images are constantly messed up since 2 or more keywords are being displayed instead of one. This is often happens when the new keyword I click on is far away from the first one and I can no longer see it on the screen due to the scaling issue.
Every photo database program I have used un-selects the first keyword when I click on a new keyword. PM+ has changed this industry standard behavior in Beta 7 and it should be restored to normal.

How would you ever select more than one keyword if only one can ever be selected?

The new method is click to toggle.  You can then have as many or as few keywords (or any other criteria) selected at the same time.

-Kirk

Offline William R Wood

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 01:19:53 PM »
No, please put it back the way it was!

I can shift+click or ctrl+click to select more than one keyword at a time. I don't want to have to toggle to de-select keywords. The way you now have it is backwards from normal and it is driving me absolutely nuts.

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 01:36:59 PM »
William,

I can shift+click or ctrl+click to select more than one keyword at a time. I don't want to have to toggle to de-select keywords. The way you now have it is backwards from normal and it is driving me absolutely nuts.

The way it used to work made it virtually impossible to use via keyboard.  Perhaps we could make it a preference that there would only ever be one selection unless a modifier key is pressed while clicking but please give it some time.

-Kirk

Offline William R Wood

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 01:43:12 PM »
Also your current click to toggle is inconsistent with regular PM.

In PM if you click a folder, the images pop up. If you want 2 folders open at the same time, you right click and choose Open in Current Contact sheet. You can keep doing this to open more folders if you want.
But when you are done looking at 1 or more folders and then click on a new folder, the old folders are automatically DE-SELECTED which is the expected behavior.

In Beta 7 catalog, its the opposite. If I look at keyword or several keywords then click on a new keyword the old keywords are still selected and now I have a mess. When I am done looking at one or more keywords and click a new keyword I want and expect, from many years of doing this, the old selection to go away. I don't want to add to the selection.

I really need you to change this new toggle method. Please.

Edit:

Just saw your last reply. Fine, if a preference will allow normal behavior that's great. I really cannot live with the current setup, it is inconsistent with how windows works and how all other software I use works.

Offline Dub

• View Profile
    • instantsphotos
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2019, 09:15:03 PM »
William,

The way it used to work made it virtually impossible to use via keyboard.  Perhaps we could make it a preference that there would only ever be one selection unless a modifier key is pressed while clicking but please give it some time.

-Kirk

The "normal" behavior would be:
- One click = 1 selection
... and for example on Mac:
- Cmd + Click = Selection 1 AND Selection 2
- Alt + Click = Selection 1 OR selection 2

Best regards
French and "English" with DeepL ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
MPB 13" M1 / Monterey
https://instantsphotos.fr/

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 05:44:25 PM »

The "normal" behavior would be:
- One click = 1 selection
... and for example on Mac:
- Cmd + Click = Selection 1 AND Selection 2
- Alt + Click = Selection 1 OR selection 2

We won't be doing this.  It would be invisible to the user that some terms are ANDed and some terms are ORed.

We will be making Ctrl-click on Windows select individual items (toggle) and Command-click on macOS will do the same.  Clicking with no qualifier keys held down will clear all selections in that Filter stage.

-Kirk

Offline Dub

• View Profile
    • instantsphotos
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 09:49:58 PM »
Arf ...  :-X

I just found how to do "AND" by opening several menus "IPTC / Keywords" ...
Great !!!

Best regards
French and "English" with DeepL ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
MPB 13" M1 / Monterey
https://instantsphotos.fr/