Author Topic: TAG & COLOR CLASS - where in the IPTC is it?  (Read 8409 times)

Offline lottapix

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
TAG & COLOR CLASS - where in the IPTC is it?
« on: April 10, 2007, 07:23:34 PM »
Just started working with PM, mac version 4.4.3.3. I need to port photos to another company-wide D.A.M. (canto cumulus) after including KW, categories, city, state, rating, etc. info inside the pix.

all works fine, except tag and color class.

1) read the quick start guide (very illuminating!)
2 set the prefs to: read IPTC first & "save/load tag and color class in IPTC/XMP: for all photos"

testing with .CR2 files.

I cannot even find this info in sidecar file.

where is it presently? Can I put COLOR CLASS info into the "Urgency" field?

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: TAG & COLOR CLASS - where in the IPTC is it?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 10:59:15 AM »
Photo Mechanic puts the tag/color class/rating/frame num into a string and stores this in an unused IPTC field 2:221 (e.g. "0:3:4:1234" is tag = false, color class = 3, rating = 4, frame num = 1234).  We also put this string into the XMP under the photomechanic namespace in the "Prefs" field.  Also in XMP, we update the Adobe xap (star) rating and put the label of the color class into the xap Label field (unless it already has a label we don't recognize).

You can't put variables into the Urgency field, but you could tuck away the tag, color class, and rating as you see fit by putting the variables into some other IPTC field.

You could also export text using these variables which would create a separate .txt file for each photo with whatever info you want.

--dennis

Offline vinnie

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Vincent MacNamara Photography
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 01:32:51 AM »
Would it be possible in some future release to have an option to copy the color class info into the urgency field so that it can be read by other programs? I have the same problem with iView Media Pro which also uses the urgency field

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 06:29:11 AM »
Would it be possible in some future release to have an option to copy the color class info into the urgency field so that it can be read by other programs? I have the same problem with iView Media Pro which also uses the urgency field

The color class information is also written out in XMP with the same tags as Bridge and Lightroom.  So if iView Media Pro can be configured to get that information out of XMP, then you'll have what you're looking for already.

Can someone answer whether iView is compatible with Bridge's Labels via XMP?

-Kirk

Offline tomr

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 04:11:18 AM »
I am trying PM PC version 4.5 and I cant seem to get the colour class to appear in Media Pro after adding it in PM or vice versa. The star rating applied in PM seems to work OK in Media pro.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 06:55:21 AM »
I am trying PM PC version 4.5 and I cant seem to get the colour class to appear in Media Pro after adding it in PM or vice versa. The star rating applied in PM seems to work OK in Media pro.

I don't actually know if IView Media Pro is compatible with Bridge's Labels.  That's what we're compatible with.  If you change labels in Bridge, does iVMP pick them up?

-Kirk

Offline tomr

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 10:50:05 AM »
I have discovered that labels in iVMP are mapped to the urgency field. I think I will use star ratings if I decide to buy PM. It is certainly much quicker than iVMP for browsing. Viewing jpgs & nefs together is also very useful. I am just wondering what the Microsoft branded iVMP will contain whenever it is released which is why I am holding back from buying PM at the moment.

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 12:54:07 PM »

The IPTC Urgency field is deprecated I believe.  I thought about doing this a long time ago, actually (in order to preserve the color class in the IPTC).  But now with the (star) rating, we would also have to have a preference to map rating to urgency.  Doable perhaps.

--dennis

Offline vinnie

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Vincent MacNamara Photography
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 01:50:09 PM »

I don't actually know if IView Media Pro is compatible with Bridge's Labels.  That's what we're compatible with.  If you change labels in Bridge, does iVMP pick them up?

-Kirk

Can't answer for Bridge, as I'm still on CS, but changes in Lightroom aren't picked up (assuming I have it configured right!)

The IPTC Urgency field is deprecated I believe.  I thought about doing this a long time ago, actually (in order to preserve the color class in the IPTC).  But now with the (star) rating, we would also have to have a preference to map rating to urgency.  Doable perhaps.

--dennis

It would be a great help if it was doable - having a file display correctly in each program without needing to remember to manually add labels would be great

Thanks for the great support in this forum guys....it makes such a difference to come across a company that communicates so well  :)