Author Topic: Catalina, PM 6 & Headache. Super slow experience  (Read 11551 times)

Offline salling1000

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Catalina, PM 6 & Headache. Super slow experience
« on: October 16, 2019, 09:21:01 AM »

Back in spring I gave PM 6 a try. At the time my macs were running 10.14 and latest PM5 build. Fairly fast and rock steady. After a week or so I gave up on PM6 as it weren't as stable or fast as the older v5

After upgrading to 10.15 I had no choice but to switch to PM6. Currently on Version 6.0, build 3558.

It is rather painful. Spinning pinwheel, terrible lag when scrolling few just a few hundred images.

Is there any other cure than patience, as in waiting for updates hopefully fixing this. I use PM primarily for the simplicity and speed. Right now the speed is absent.

Offline salling1000

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Catalina, PM 6 & Headache. Super slow experience
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 09:24:29 AM »
BTW. I am using a 2013 Mac Pro. 6core with 64GB ram. Shouldn't be the machine slowing me down....

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 10:04:10 AM »
I'd like to see your preferences settings.  Specifically the Contact Sheet, Files, Preview, Caching, and Render Cache pages.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshots.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline salling1000

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 11:14:47 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Please find the requested screenshots here

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 11:29:56 AM »
Please find the requested screenshots here

Thank you.  Here are the changes that I suggest:

Files page: turn off "Play move to Trash sound"

Preview page: turn off "Enlarge photos to fit previews and slideshows"
turn off "Always make current Preview visible in Contact Sheet"
turn off "Synchronize single selection between Preview and Contact Sheet"
turn off "Rescan Contact Sheet when Preview closes"

Caching page: make "Disk Cache size" 2048

The rest looks good.

-Kirk

Offline salling1000

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 12:44:17 PM »
HI Kirk,

Will give these settings a go...

Offline zhpenn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 01:52:37 AM »
I found that on MacBook pro 2018(6-cores), scrool through images is a lot slower than a mac pro 2013(with 2560 x1600 monitor),

not sure if it is because of the screen resolution, but on MacBook pro I already set to fastest preview.

I use the same pm 6 setting on both mac.

when pressing the arrow key faster(or long-press the keyboard arrow, key repeat speed already set to fastest ), the speed of switching photos is still slow,
no matter how fast I press the arrow, it will look like there is a speed limited on it.
when selecting photo actually feel very laggy

but on a mac pro, the speed of switching photos is as fast as I press the arrow.

please check the video, will be deleted after kirk sees the problem, because of clients' privacy
the first half of the video is on RMBP, the 2nd half is Mac pro
http://bit.ly/2Bfz08S

Offline salling1000

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2019, 06:22:22 AM »
Hi Kirk,

It does seem faster. Thanks

Offline rowellphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Rowell Photography
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2019, 08:15:53 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Still having the same issue as the OP. I have the same settings you have recommended above however the need to have Previews: Enlarge photos to fit previews and slide shows, turned on is a must.

Version 5 was blazing fast with that turned on, however version 6 is only as fast with that turned off. Its a trade off of using half the size of my screen for speed or full screen to make quick judgements on focus and be able to lean back from the monitor.

was there that much of a rewrite in that part of the code that it cannot be turned on again without sacrificing the speed.

With it turned on, its moving through images at around 3 images/sec, with it off, its blasting through them just like version 5 at somewhere near 10-15/sec. There is also a noticeable lag with it finishing the keyboard buffer on the right arrow letting two more images pass after letting go of the key.

I had to move to version 6 upon upgrade though I have had it for several months when it was released, I was still using version 5 until 6 was sorted out. Now its my only choice and hoping that the bugs can be found.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2019, 09:13:56 AM »
Still having the same issue as the OP. I have the same settings you have recommended above however the need to have Previews: Enlarge photos to fit previews and slide shows, turned on is a must.

Version 5 was blazing fast with that turned on, however version 6 is only as fast with that turned off. Its a trade off of using half the size of my screen for speed or full screen to make quick judgements on focus and be able to lean back from the monitor.

Usually that feature kicks in when you have a very small source image and a large preview pane.  What kind of images are you previewing?  What resolution do they have (width and height)?

was there that much of a rewrite in that part of the code that it cannot be turned on again without sacrificing the speed.

On our end?  No.  On Apple's end, it's hard to say, but scaling images as they're drawn (that's what the "Enlarge photos to fit" feature does) is much slower for a modern app (meaning built with a newer SDK and 64-bits) than for an older app like PM5 that appears to benefit by some sort of emulation.

With it turned on, its moving through images at around 3 images/sec, with it off, its blasting through them just like version 5 at somewhere near 10-15/sec. There is also a noticeable lag with it finishing the keyboard buffer on the right arrow letting two more images pass after letting go of the key.

If you're holding down the arrow key and the key events begin to come in at the rate of your keyboard repeat rate setting, then that problem will occur when PM can't move through the images at that rate.  You let up on the key but the event queue still has a few more "right arrow key events" that continue to be delivered to PM and it obeys.

Could you make a video of your browsing with the "Enlarge to fit" on and off so that I can see this in action?  Please post a link to it when you can.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline rowellphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Rowell Photography
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2019, 10:11:44 AM »
Hi Kirk,

They are full resolution fuji x-t3 and x-pro2 raw files being shown as the embedded jpeg from the raw file. the only change for me has been the software (PM), the files have had the same settings and ran quickly in PM5.

I will send the video in private message to you just due to privacy of my clients and their images.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2019, 10:15:48 AM »
They are full resolution fuji x-t3 and x-pro2 raw files being shown as the embedded jpeg from the raw file. the only change for me has been the software (PM), the files have had the same settings and ran quickly in PM5.

I will send the video in private message to you just due to privacy of my clients and their images.

Excellent, thank you.

-Kirk

Offline rowellphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Rowell Photography
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2019, 11:07:10 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Since making the video for you, having blasted through the photos I think the cache of the images has been created and upon looking at the photos again another time later, it appears to be running quickly even with enlarge photos on now. Is there a pre-cache option or perhaps its not working in the background like it did in pm5?

-Ryan

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2019, 11:13:08 AM »
Ryan,

Since making the video for you, having blasted through the photos I think the cache of the images has been created and upon looking at the photos again another time later, it appears to be running quickly even with enlarge photos on now. Is there a pre-cache option or perhaps its not working in the background like it did in pm5?

No. PM6 is far better at generating images in advance of your seeing them than PM5.

Please see my response to your private message.

-Kirk

Offline zhpenn

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2019, 05:49:47 PM »
Hi Kirk, can you please have a look at my Reply #6, can you see where the problem come from? thanks a lot