Author Topic: Combining raw and jpg  (Read 5542 times)

Offline Bob M

• View Profile
    • The McElroys of Point Alexander
Combining raw and jpg
« on: February 08, 2020, 06:56:47 AM »
Windows 10, PM+ 4257.  Two minor issues.

If I go to preferences, contact sheet tab, and change the "Combine RAW + JPEG into ..." checkbox, the change doesn't take effect until I close and then reopen the contact sheet; F5 doesn't do it.  (This may well be the case in PM as well; I don't think I've ever tried it before.)

My preference is to only include the RAW files in the catalogs.  If I catalog the RAW files, but not the JPEGs and then choose to view combined thumbnails in the contact sheet, the contact sheet shows open circles rather than green circles.  I understand the logic of whats going on, but it has the consequence that I can't tell (easily) whether the RAW file is cataloged or not.  Would you please consider implementing a half filled circle for this case.  And, if you really wanted to get fancy, which half of the circle was filled would indicate whether it was the RAW or  JPEG that was cataloged.

(Note that I am assuming that the RAW and JPEG are separate entities in the catalog.  If this is not the case, then I may want to rethink my approach.)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Combining raw and jpg
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 02:03:14 PM »
Bob,

Windows 10, PM+ 4257.  Two minor issues.

If I go to preferences, contact sheet tab, and change the "Combine RAW + JPEG into ..." checkbox, the change doesn't take effect until I close and then reopen the contact sheet; F5 doesn't do it.  (This may well be the case in PM as well; I don't think I've ever tried it before.)

That just sets the default.  It doesn't affect any existing contact sheets.  Use the command on the View menu to change the current setting on an existing contact sheet.

My preference is to only include the RAW files in the catalogs.  If I catalog the RAW files, but not the JPEGs and then choose to view combined thumbnails in the contact sheet, the contact sheet shows open circles rather than green circles.  I understand the logic of whats going on, but it has the consequence that I can't tell (easily) whether the RAW file is cataloged or not.  Would you please consider implementing a half filled circle for this case.  And, if you really wanted to get fancy, which half of the circle was filled would indicate whether it was the RAW or  JPEG that was cataloged.

Interesting idea, though several images can be combined (RAW, JPEG, PSD, TIFF, PNG, etc.) and how would we indicate the state of each image in the group?

(Note that I am assuming that the RAW and JPEG are separate entities in the catalog.  If this is not the case, then I may want to rethink my approach.)

Your assumption is correct.  Each image cataloged is its own entry in the database.

-Kirk

Offline Bob M

• View Profile
    • The McElroys of Point Alexander
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 06:39:25 AM »
I would be pleased if you would consider implementing an interface modification to indicate, that at least one, but not all members of a combined set have been cataloged.  For this case, I would think that a half filled circle would suffice, but there may be better solutions.

I was unaware that it was possible to combine other image types together.  I did some experiments this morning and was unable to make this feature work.  While I could combine orf+jpg, I was unable to combine a tif file with anything (orf+jpg+tif, orf+tif, tif+jpg; none of these worked.)  (I also tried changing the extension to tiff and TIFF without success.)  I'm not concerned about this because it is not something I have occasion to do but I mention it in light of your comment.

Thank you for your consideration.

Offline Bob Hendricks

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 03:36:44 AM »
This is a very interesting discussion for me. I would like to add support to Bob's suggestions.

I agree with Kirk's question about how to handle various states of processing with the colored circles. and am playing with ideas of how to indicate the state of an image in the State field in the IPTC table.

An alternative  solution would be to use a green dot to indicate that the RAW image has been cataloged; it could also mean that the base JPG has been cataloged in those cases where there is no RAW image.  Then, we look at ways to standardize how to indicate the state of DNG, PSD, DXO files--etc., etc. in the State field of the IPTC template.  If implemented, then the State will be catalogued, but in a different search field.

Bob Hendricks
Bob Hendricks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 08:42:41 AM »
Bob,

This is a very interesting discussion for me. I would like to add support to Bob's suggestions.

I agree with Kirk's question about how to handle various states of processing with the colored circles. and am playing with ideas of how to indicate the state of an image in the State field in the IPTC table.

An alternative  solution would be to use a green dot to indicate that the RAW image has been cataloged; it could also mean that the base JPG has been cataloged in those cases where there is no RAW image.  Then, we look at ways to standardize how to indicate the state of DNG, PSD, DXO files--etc., etc. in the State field of the IPTC template.  If implemented, then the State will be catalogued, but in a different search field.

The problem of storing the "state" in the IPTC metadata is:

1) Duplicating a file implies that the duplicate is also in a catalog when it isn't yet in a catalog.
2) The state data for an individual image is only accurate for the catalog that created the state.  An image can be in multiple catalogs.  There would then have to be an array of state data.

No state data is necessary.  The catalog that is active knows what files it has cataloged by its very nature.

As for showing the state of an image at-a-glance?  I don't have an excellent solution for stacks.  I think that perhaps clicking on the dot to 'get info' may be an OK solution.  The Info panel would list all of the images in the stack and their status.  Perhaps a half-filled circle would indicate partial membership of the stack.  When you see a fully filled circle then you know that the entire stack is in the current set of catalogs.  If it is less than full, then one or more images in the stack are not a member of the set of catalogs.

-Kirk