Author Topic: "Gathering Sort Information"  (Read 12708 times)

Offline olidie

• View Profile
Re: "Gathering Sort Information"
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2020, 01:49:09 AM »

https://www.camerabits.com/download/PM6SetupR4665_b920498e.msi

I just installed this build and tried it. A difference like night and day. Much, much faster when opening a non cached folder :-)
Oliver

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2020, 10:49:14 AM »
Oliver,

https://www.camerabits.com/download/PM6SetupR4665_b920498e.msi

I just installed this build and tried it. A difference like night and day. Much, much faster when opening a non cached folder :-)

Thanks.  I'll take a look at your log tomorrow.  In the meantime, you should turn off those flags in your PMDebug.txt file.

-Kirk

Offline olidie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2020, 11:12:58 AM »

Thanks.  I'll take a look at your log tomorrow.  In the meantime, you should turn off those flags in your PMDebug.txt file.

-Kirk

Thanks alot, Kirk.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2020, 10:12:31 AM »
The log looks good, no filtering going on.  The sort is taking the fast path when gathering what it needs to do the sort.

Thanks for confirming the fix, Oliver.

-Kirk

Offline olidie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2020, 10:14:18 AM »
Thanks for confirming the fix, Oliver.

Glad I could help!

Oliver

Offline Alex-S

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2020, 05:33:28 AM »
Hey, I just updated from PM5 to PM6 (Build5404)
I still have the mentioned issue that PM6 is much slower because of gathering during open up a new folder tab.
(Doesn't matter if I sort for Filename or date)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2020, 09:43:45 AM »
Alex,

Hey, I just updated from PM5 to PM6 (Build5404)
I still have the mentioned issue that PM6 is much slower because of gathering during open up a new folder tab.
(Doesn't matter if I sort for Filename or date)

I think you're probably doing some kind of filtering as well.  Look at the ratings and color class filters.  Are they showing everything or are they filtering out some criteria?

-Kirk

Offline Alex-S

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2020, 10:59:42 AM »
Hello Kirk,
thanks for you quick reply.  :)

I was testing now the whole afternoon. It seems it was a combination.
1. I figured out, I had some network issues with my NAS. The transfer rate was low. (All pics are saved on a NAS)
2. I thought that I haven't had any filter criteria at the beginning. Later I changed the filter settings yes, you are right.
     So if I switch it back to no filter and open an new foldert, there is no gathering.
3. But if I open a new folder tab, wait until all pics are shown and than switch on the filter, the Gathering starts and take a while.

--> I found out that the Gathering seems to be happen only once per folder. So if it was done once, I can even close and open the program, open the tab with filter and it will not Gathering. --> Can it be that the filter logic from PM5 to PM6 changed completly? Because in PM5 all my folders where filtered already?
  --> If this Gathering (guess you create somthing like an index file) is necessary now, can it not be done in the background for all favorit folders in advance? would save a lot of user time...

Best regards
Alexander

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2020, 02:29:39 PM »
Alexander,

I was testing now the whole afternoon. It seems it was a combination.
1. I figured out, I had some network issues with my NAS. The transfer rate was low. (All pics are saved on a NAS)
2. I thought that I haven't had any filter criteria at the beginning. Later I changed the filter settings yes, you are right.
     So if I switch it back to no filter and open an new foldert, there is no gathering.
3. But if I open a new folder tab, wait until all pics are shown and than switch on the filter, the Gathering starts and take a while.

--> I found out that the Gathering seems to be happen only once per folder. So if it was done once, I can even close and open the program, open the tab with filter and it will not Gathering. --> Can it be that the filter logic from PM5 to PM6 changed completly? Because in PM5 all my folders where filtered already?

Both PM5 and PM6 use the same sort data caching database.

--> If this Gathering (guess you create somthing like an index file) is necessary now, can it not be done in the background for all favorit folders in advance? would save a lot of user time...

It is a database.  Could it be built in bulk in the background? Yes, but we don't have plans to do so at this time.

-Kirk