Author Topic: Image previews missing  (Read 38486 times)

Offline obelix74

• View Profile
Re: Image previews missing
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2020, 10:49:54 AM »
I have attached the logs.

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2020, 11:36:54 AM »
I have attached the logs.

Thanks.  Unfortunately catalog debug logging wasn't turned on during that run.  Could I have you turn on Catalog debug logging and try again, please?  From the Help menu, choose "Edit Debug Settings..." and find the item titled CATALOG_DEBUG_LOGGING and set its checkbox.  Then click the Close button.  Then restart Photo Mechanic Plus and reproduce the problem.  From the Help menu choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Finder/Windows Explorer window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

NOTE: you'll have to get the problem to happen again now that you've enabled logging.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline obelix74

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2020, 12:39:20 PM »
I restarted it with DEBUG_LOGGING on for catalogs and now the catalog is proceeding slowly, at 0.2/sec and not stuck at 0/sec.  I am not sure if the DEBUG_LOGGING is affecting the original bug :(. I have attached the logs again, just in case.

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2020, 02:00:14 PM »
I restarted it with DEBUG_LOGGING on for catalogs and now the catalog is proceeding slowly, at 0.2/sec and not stuck at 0/sec.  I am not sure if the DEBUG_LOGGING is affecting the original bug :(. I have attached the logs again, just in case.

Thanks for the logs.  Is the "Pictures" volume a NAS drive?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline obelix74

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2020, 02:28:40 PM »
Yes, the `Pictures` volume is a NAS drive.

Offline obelix74

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2020, 10:29:39 AM »
Kirk

My catalog building and image preview completed successfully.  I quit PM Plus, disconnected my NAS and restarted PM Plus.  When I browse EXIF, the thumbnails are empty again.  I have attached screenshot and log messages again.

I will do a quick sync again, just in case, but I started one last night and that also ended. I expect PM Plus to use the local thumbnails and I should be able to see them.

Offline obelix74

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2020, 04:26:46 PM »
Just to be sure, I ran a full catalog sync. No files were missing (yet image previews are missing).

Offline Bill Kelly

• Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2020, 02:33:13 PM »
Hi,

I will do a quick sync again, just in case, but I started one last night and that also ended. I expect PM Plus to use the local thumbnails and I should be able to see them.

Based on what I'm seeing in your logfiles, could you try browsing (via QuickSearch or the Organizer) for some specific images, to see whether offline previews show up for these?

For example, files in the following folder, such as:

2019/hst/Capture/hst_2937.NEF
2019/hst/Capture/hst_2938.NEF
2019/hst/Capture/hst_2939.NEF
2019/hst/Capture/hst_294.NEF
2019/hst/Capture/hst_2940.NEF

Thanks,

Bill

Offline obelix74

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2020, 04:01:44 PM »
Yes, I unmounted my NAS and searched for the file name in the search bar.  All thumbnails show up.  See attachments.

Offline obelix74

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2020, 04:06:30 PM »
Ah, same image, when I search, I see the preview, but not browsing via catalog (date).

Offline obelix74

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2020, 04:07:41 PM »
Attached logs for these.

Offline Mark S

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2020, 08:53:58 PM »
Noticed odd behavior in PM6+ 5199 Windows 10 (1909)....

(with auto catalog turned off at ingest)

After ingesting (via selection), I typically add specific metadata to the new images before I update the catalog. When I do a partial update where not all the new images are included in the catalog (clear circles) I have noticed that a browse or search of the catalogue (that should return some of the new images) returns a contact sheet has all yellow dotted thumbnails and sometimes blank thumbnails.
When I update the catalogue with the remainder of the new images, the same search/browse returns green thumbnails and no blank images.

Perhaps this odd behavior is related to the disappearing thumbnails that other users are experiencing.
-- Mark --

Offline obelix74

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2020, 10:46:41 AM »
Thanks Mark.

Noticed odd behavior in PM6+ 5199 Windows 10 (1909)....

(with auto catalog turned off at ingest)

After ingesting (via selection), I typically add specific metadata to the new images before I update the catalog. When I do a partial update where not all the new images are included in the catalog (clear circles) I have noticed that a browse or search of the catalogue (that should return some of the new images) returns a contact sheet has all yellow dotted thumbnails and sometimes blank thumbnails.
When I update the catalogue with the remainder of the new images, the same search/browse returns green thumbnails and no blank images.

Perhaps this odd behavior is related to the disappearing thumbnails that other users are experiencing.

Offline obelix74

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2020, 06:31:50 PM »
Here is my update. 

Based on Bob Russell's advice via support, I selected all images in catalog and did include in catalog.  First attempt hung after 2 days.  Second attempt is stuck in this screen for many hours now.  Bob tells me that my image previews were not generated correctly for my 120k images.  Unfortunately my trial license ends today.  Catalog is the only reason I am keen on buying PM plus and I am wary of spending $239 without at least seeing the entire catalog built and seeing the thumbnails.

I would appreciate if you can extend my trial period and give me a build with a fix before I purchase.

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2020, 07:04:26 PM »
I would appreciate if you can extend my trial period and give me a build with a fix before I purchase.

I'll contact you privately tomorrow with an extended license key.

-Kirk