Author Topic: Problem with the creation of a catalog  (Read 2509 times)

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
Problem with the creation of a catalog
« on: November 06, 2020, 03:26:56 AM »
 Hello
I create a new catalog and ask to scan a folder with subfolders. It's very fast but unfortunately there is nothing at all in the catalog.

I try another method: I go to the left section, I display all the pictures I'm interested in. I select them all and with the context menu I include them in the catalog. Everything works very well there.

I don't understand why the first method doesn't work. When there are already photos in the catalog, you can scan another folder with total success.
Soizic (France)
MacBook Pro M1,Ventura, PM+ à jour, deepl translator

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Problem with the creation of a catalog
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2020, 07:12:03 AM »
Soizic,

I create a new catalog and ask to scan a folder with subfolders. It's very fast but unfortunately there is nothing at all in the catalog.

I try another method: I go to the left section, I display all the pictures I'm interested in. I select them all and with the context menu I include them in the catalog. Everything works very well there.

I don't understand why the first method doesn't work. When there are already photos in the catalog, you can scan another folder with total success.

Please post a screen shot of the Scan To Catalog window, showing all settings.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2020, 08:10:32 AM »
I made an error "When there are already photos in the catalog, you can scan another folder with total success." this not true

Soizic (France)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 08:41:48 AM »
Thank you for the images, Soizic.

You currently have no folders added to the "Folders to Scan" list.  You also have in the second photo, set the "File Extensions to Include or Exclude" to only include a bunch of types that are not images.  In the first photo you're excluding them.  You'll want to exclude those for sure.  But if you haven't got any folders to scan then no photos will be added to your catalog.

I expect that if you add some folders to the "Folders to Scan" list and you exclude those extensions you listed then it should work fine.

-Kirk

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 11:27:03 PM »
Hello

I did the experiment again with a very simple folder containing only JPEGs. Usual failure.

I attach three files, the folder and the window status before and after the start command.
Thank you for your help.
Soizic (France)

Offline Marv

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2020, 07:05:10 AM »
Soizic,

If you change the “include only these extensions” to  “.jpg; .jpeg” I think the images will be added to your catalog as you expect.   

Based on your last post, you told PM+ to scan the folder “zoo-2020” and add the images to catalog “PM-essai1.”  The problem is you have also told PM+ to only include “cocessiondb; cop; cof;cot” file types.  As Kirk pointed out, since these are NOT image files, PM+ doesn’t add anything to your catalog.

I hope this helps.

Marv

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2020, 10:31:19 AM »
I'm sorry, I'm dizzy, I didn't see that there were the two possibilities, include and exclude, at the beginning I had put exclude.
Thank you!
Soizic (France)