Author Topic: Help!  (Read 1712 times)

Offline george_51

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Help!
« on: November 14, 2020, 12:01:22 PM »
I’m a newbie to Photomechanic + which I purchased to get to grips with cataloguing my image library.

It’s a very mixed one too, nearly all Nikon .NEF files for the last 10 years or so but before that it is made up of scanned 35mm prints, images taken from 35mm negatives etc. my own and wife’s .jpg files from Panasonic and Sony Cybershots etc.

As an amateur I wanted something for cataloguing that did not lock me into a proprietary image management system; when Apple stopped supporting Aperture I refused to get involved with Adobe or Apple’s Photos.  PM6+ is perfect for me as a tool to add metadata to old 35mm images and for cataloguing my library of about 10k images.

Set up and cataloguing has gone well, despite the daunting number of options offered by the PM6+ package.

What has been a problem is around 40 .NEF RAW files that have become Read Only and which will not allow me to add keywords to them.

I have set up a number of keywords and use the drop down menu to allocate to selected images and have been using the ITPC template as well.

Is there any PM6+ related reason that a small selection of my .NEF files have become Read Only and can I undo that?

Hope someone can help.....

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Help!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2020, 03:01:25 PM »
George,

I’m a newbie to Photomechanic + which I purchased to get to grips with cataloguing my image library.

It’s a very mixed one too, nearly all Nikon .NEF files for the last 10 years or so but before that it is made up of scanned 35mm prints, images taken from 35mm negatives etc. my own and wife’s .jpg files from Panasonic and Sony Cybershots etc.

As an amateur I wanted something for cataloguing that did not lock me into a proprietary image management system; when Apple stopped supporting Aperture I refused to get involved with Adobe or Apple’s Photos.  PM6+ is perfect for me as a tool to add metadata to old 35mm images and for cataloguing my library of about 10k images.

Set up and cataloguing has gone well, despite the daunting number of options offered by the PM6+ package.

What has been a problem is around 40 .NEF RAW files that have become Read Only and which will not allow me to add keywords to them.

I have set up a number of keywords and use the drop down menu to allocate to selected images and have been using the ITPC template as well.

Is there any PM6+ related reason that a small selection of my .NEF files have become Read Only and can I undo that?

Have you checked the permissions on those files?  Is it all NEFs in a particular folder that are having this issue, or are they in multiple folders?  Generally PM/PM Plus isn't going to ever make a file read-only unless it was read-only already.

-Kirk

Offline george_51

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Help!
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2020, 07:18:27 AM »
Thanks Kirk.

I suspected this might be a problem that was not created by PM6+.

So, I opened the 'locked' .NEF files in Nikon Capture where I was then able to unlock them, and to be safe rename them as well.

Then went back to PM6+ and using the Manage Catalog command, and Maintenance command have re-indexed the catalog which has resolved the problem completely, I can now add keywords rating etc. which I could not do before.

All seems to be working nicely now - many thanks for the very quick help.