Author Topic: PH6+ not reading many XMP files  (Read 2000 times)

Offline rex176

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PH6+ not reading many XMP files
« on: November 14, 2020, 01:44:50 PM »
Out of a library of over 30,000 images, PM6+ isn't reading the XMP file for many of them. Not quite sure, but I think this happens predominantly with JPG and TIF files.

Here's the situation:
- Was using Lightroom
- Switched to Capture One
- Capture One recognized keywords that had been entered in Lightroom
- Fixed a lot of keywords in Capture One
- Used the "Sync Metadata" option in Capture One to generate XMP files for every photo
- In PM6+ scanned the folder structure that contains all my images

When I search by keyword in PM6+ I noticed that a lot of photos were missing. But if I search using EXIF data, I can find the photo, so the photos are definitely in the PM6+ catalog.

If I find the photo using EXIF, then click "i" to see the info, nothing from the XMP file (keywords or location) is visible. When I click "Load..." and locate the XMP file, it gets loaded and the keywords and location info are there.

I've tried rescanning the folder, updating the folder, all options available for making sure the PM6+ catalog is up to date. Nothing worked.

Attached are:
- XMP file of an image that has the keywords in PM6+
- XMP file of an image that doesn't have the keywords in PM6+, i.e. XMP file not read by PM6+
- Screenshot of my Edit > Preferences > IPTC/XMP settings.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PH6+ not reading many XMP files
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2020, 03:04:26 PM »
Out of a library of over 30,000 images, PM6+ isn't reading the XMP file for many of them. Not quite sure, but I think this happens predominantly with JPG and TIF files.

Here's the situation:
- Was using Lightroom
- Switched to Capture One
- Capture One recognized keywords that had been entered in Lightroom
- Fixed a lot of keywords in Capture One
- Used the "Sync Metadata" option in Capture One to generate XMP files for every photo
- In PM6+ scanned the folder structure that contains all my images

When I search by keyword in PM6+ I noticed that a lot of photos were missing. But if I search using EXIF data, I can find the photo, so the photos are definitely in the PM6+ catalog.

If I find the photo using EXIF, then click "i" to see the info, nothing from the XMP file (keywords or location) is visible. When I click "Load..." and locate the XMP file, it gets loaded and the keywords and location info are there.

I've tried rescanning the folder, updating the folder, all options available for making sure the PM6+ catalog is up to date. Nothing worked.

XMP metadata is supposed to be embedded in the actual JPEG and TIFF files.  PM and PM Plus ignore XMP files when the source image file is JPEG, TIFF, PSD, DNG, etc. (basically non-RAW, non-video files.)

You should be able to load the XMP files into the Metadata Info for each image and then save it (the buttons on the right panel), which will then put the XMP metadata in the image files where it should be.

-Kirk