Author Topic: How to add missing folders to the catalog  (Read 2606 times)

Offline mikemyers

• Have Camera, Will Travel
    • View Profile
    • Smugmug Gallery
How to add missing folders to the catalog
« on: November 27, 2020, 01:15:33 PM »
In the "browse" window, I see most of my folders, but the folders I created in the past two days are missing.

If I go to "scan to catalog" and scan my entire directory structure, will it find these "missing" folders and add them?

On my iMac I have one top-level folder created.  Anything and everything "under" that top level folder should show up.  I suspect when I ingested the images, I didn't click on a box to "add to catalog" - but this is the first time I'm doing this, so maybe I did something else incorrectly.

In the image I will try to attach, the catalog stops at November 23.  There are a few folders that aren't shown - yet.
Mike Myers
m.smugmug.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: How to add missing folders to the catalog
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2020, 04:35:10 PM »
Mike,

In the "browse" window, I see most of my folders, but the folders I created in the past two days are missing.

If I go to "scan to catalog" and scan my entire directory structure, will it find these "missing" folders and add them?

Yes, though it wouldn't be as efficient as using Catalog Sync.

On my iMac I have one top-level folder created.  Anything and everything "under" that top level folder should show up.  I suspect when I ingested the images, I didn't click on a box to "add to catalog" - but this is the first time I'm doing this, so maybe I did something else incorrectly.

In the image I will try to attach, the catalog stops at November 23.  There are a few folders that aren't shown - yet.

Unless you add photos while ingesting, you'll either need to use Catalog Sync or manually browse the folders, select the images, and include them in your catalog.

If you're adding images in new folders in a folder hierarchy that has been added to your catalog, then I suggest using Catalog Sync (Catalog->Sync Catalogs...) and use the Quick Sync to pick up the new folders/images.

-Kirk

Offline mikemyers

• View Profile
    • Smugmug Gallery
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2020, 06:49:03 PM »
I didn't notice Catalog Sync - will check for it, then do it.
Thank you. 
Next time I ingest, I will verify that the images are being added to the catalog.

I know PhotoMechanic, for the past 25 years or so - but I'm just starting to learn about the catalog.
Mike Myers
m.smugmug.com

Offline mikemyers

• View Profile
    • Smugmug Gallery
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2020, 07:00:16 PM »
Did that need to verify everything is there.  How do I open an entire catalog, so I can scroll down through all the folders and images?
Not sure where to even start...  I wish that under Catalog there was an option to "view catalog".
Maybe there's a better way to do this...
Mike Myers
m.smugmug.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2020, 08:59:33 PM »
Did that need to verify everything is there.  How do I open an entire catalog, so I can scroll down through all the folders and images?
Not sure where to even start...  I wish that under Catalog there was an option to "view catalog".
Maybe there's a better way to do this...

You can view the catalog's images in two ways:

1) Click on the Filter tab in the Organizer and click the New button.  Filters start out showing all items.  As you select criteria in the Filters, the number of items reduces.
2) Click on the Search tab in the Organizer and type "" (two double quotes) and press enter.  This will match all items.

-Kirk

Offline mikemyers

• View Profile
    • Smugmug Gallery
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2020, 05:31:46 AM »
Aha! 

Clicking "filter" didn't do anything, but then clicking "new" brought up all my 707 images currently in the catalog.

I see that at the top right, there are search boxes that apparently show how to sort these 707 images.
I selected "capture time" in one, and "all" in the other one.
It does seem to have properly sorted all my images in the starting folder by when they were taken.  Very nice.
I haven't yet found a way to display that date for each photo, unless I open them one at a time and check the info for that image.

Fascinating.  I've got a lot to learn.
Mike Myers
m.smugmug.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2020, 06:06:01 PM »
Mike,

Aha! 

Clicking "filter" didn't do anything, but then clicking "new" brought up all my 707 images currently in the catalog.

I see that at the top right, there are search boxes that apparently show how to sort these 707 images.
I selected "capture time" in one, and "all" in the other one.
It does seem to have properly sorted all my images in the starting folder by when they were taken.  Very nice.
I haven't yet found a way to display that date for each photo, unless I open them one at a time and check the info for that image.

Fascinating.  I've got a lot to learn.

You can add one or more custom thumbnail labels and use PM's Image Variables and display all kinds of shooting data so that you can see useful information along with each thumbnail.

https://docs.camerabits.com/support/solutions/articles/48000960641-how-to-customize-thumbnail-labels-in-contact-sheets

-Kirk