Author Topic: text export file names  (Read 1797 times)

Offline Bob M

• View Profile
    • The McElroys of Point Alexander
text export file names
« on: December 14, 2020, 08:23:16 AM »
I have stumbled upon a minor difference in behaviour between PM V6 build 5029 and PM+ V6 build 5376 on Windows 10 which is tripping me up (that is, breaking my normal workflow).
I use Text Exporter to transfer selected metadata for external use.  I format the output as xml and name the resultant file something like 'data.xml'.  PM lets me do this but PM+ insists on naming the output file 'data.xml.txt'.  That is, it adds a 'txt' extension whether I want it or not.
I expect that you would want the behaviour of PM and PM+ to match.  I very much hope that you choose the PM behaviour.
I realize that when I set this up, I could have chosen to use the xml exporter but the text exporter is a much simpler solution for me.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: text export file names
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2020, 09:05:04 AM »
Bob,

I have stumbled upon a minor difference in behaviour between PM V6 build 5029 and PM+ V6 build 5376 on Windows 10 which is tripping me up (that is, breaking my normal workflow).
I use Text Exporter to transfer selected metadata for external use.  I format the output as xml and name the resultant file something like 'data.xml'.  PM lets me do this but PM+ insists on naming the output file 'data.xml.txt'.  That is, it adds a 'txt' extension whether I want it or not.
I expect that you would want the behaviour of PM and PM+ to match.  I very much hope that you choose the PM behaviour.
I realize that when I set this up, I could have chosen to use the xml exporter but the text exporter is a much simpler solution for me.

The reason you're seeing differences is because your PM6 build is not up to date.  If it were, you'd see the same behavior in both apps.  That said, I never intended for .txt to be appended when the user did provide an extension, so I will fix it.

-Kirk

Offline Bob M

• View Profile
    • The McElroys of Point Alexander
Re: text export file names
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2020, 09:57:04 AM »
Thanks

(The reason my PM is not up to date is that I am exclusively using PM+ now.  I dusted it off just for comparison purposes.)