Author Topic: Catalog Metadata Gathering -- Speed Estimates seem strange  (Read 1751 times)

Offline Bob Hendricks

• View Profile
Catalog Metadata Gathering -- Speed Estimates seem strange
« on: December 26, 2020, 10:54:08 AM »
When one is adding items to a catalog, the "Catalog Metadata Gathering" info seems strange.  In my case, with a few thousand images to catalog, the estimate is something the order of 6 hours.  However, the process run-in perhaps 20-30 minutes. The time is taken off the time estimate really quickly and it runs down 0 at the time when all of the images have been cataloged.  It appears that the time estimate does not correctly calculate for the number of processors and the speed of those processors.

Bob Hendricks

Offline Bill Kelly

• Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Catalog Metadata Gathering -- Speed Estimates seem strange
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2020, 11:45:31 AM »
Hi Bob,

When one is adding items to a catalog, the "Catalog Metadata Gathering" info seems strange.  In my case, with a few thousand images to catalog, the estimate is something the order of 6 hours.  However, the process run-in perhaps 20-30 minutes.

That's indeed strange. What type of drive are the images on? (E.g. network drive? External HDD?)

The rate and its associated completion estimate is calculated based on a historical average; a sliding window covering the last 200 or so batches pulled from the queue.

Regards,

Bill

Offline Bob Hendricks

• View Profile
Re: Catalog Metadata Gathering -- Speed Estimates seem strange
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2020, 12:24:35 PM »
I am running OS 14.6 (Mojave) on a  late 2012 iMac with a 3.2 GHz  Intel Core 7 processor. The hard disk is is an external 4T Western Digital dual drive  VelociRaptor with Thunderbolt 2 cable.  This is about as fast as possible with such an old machine.
Bob Hendricks