Author Topic: Location IPTC being removed  (Read 3511 times)

Offline nekken

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Location IPTC being removed
« on: April 24, 2007, 07:48:41 AM »
I work with PhotoShelter, Photoshop and Photo Mechanic.  If I download a file from PhotoShelter and open it in Photoshop, the IPTC location field has the correct data in it.  If I open the file in Photo Mechanic than close the file and reopen it, the IPTC location field data vanishes.  If I then open that same file in Photoshop again, it is also gone.

All other IPTC Data seems to not have this problem.

To add a clarification, it's not the Data field "location" that vanishes but the data contained within it.  The file I was working with was a JPEG and it was the Mac version 4.5 of Photo Mechanic.  The Error is repeatable and only requires you to open the Info window then close it to make the information disappear. If you do not open the info panel and just import the image in it does not remove the data.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 08:43:18 AM by nekken »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Location IPTC being removed
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 12:33:07 PM »
I work with PhotoShelter, Photoshop and Photo Mechanic.  If I download a file from PhotoShelter and open it in Photoshop, the IPTC location field has the correct data in it.  If I open the file in Photo Mechanic than close the file and reopen it, the IPTC location field data vanishes.  If I then open that same file in Photoshop again, it is also gone.

All other IPTC Data seems to not have this problem.

To add a clarification, it's not the Data field "location" that vanishes but the data contained within it.  The file I was working with was a JPEG and it was the Mac version 4.5 of Photo Mechanic.  The Error is repeatable and only requires you to open the Info window then close it to make the information disappear. If you do not open the info panel and just import the image in it does not remove the data.

Anytime you OK the IPTC Info dialog, it saves the state of the fields in the dialog.  Only Cancel (or the close box) will skip saving.  That said, I am unable to reproduce your issue.  Can you send us a sample file or tell me how I can download a sample from you?  Then I'll try and reproduce the issue with your file(s).

Contact me privately for server upload info.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline cbarber

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 08:47:58 AM »
I am taking another look at Photo Mechanic since I want a faster way of ingesting meta data into my files and have noticed that none of the data in the location field is showing up in Photo Mechanic. I have gone through several images and not one displays the data in the location field.  All the data was inputed with Bridge. You can see it in Bridge, iView and when you open the file in Photoshop.

I am on a Mac with the latest OS, use PM 4.5.1.1, CS2 and have iView 3.1.3

Any help much appreciated.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 09:03:00 AM »
I am taking another look at Photo Mechanic since I want a faster way of ingesting meta data into my files and have noticed that none of the data in the location field is showing up in Photo Mechanic. I have gone through several images and not one displays the data in the location field.  All the data was inputed with Bridge. You can see it in Bridge, iView and when you open the file in Photoshop.

I am on a Mac with the latest OS, use PM 4.5.1.1, CS2 and have iView 3.1.3

Please send me one of your files.  Contact me privately by clicking on my name to the left of this message.  I'll give you contact/server info.

-Kirk