Author Topic: Rating not shown for .tiff files  (Read 1413 times)

Offline mike999

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Rating not shown for .tiff files
« on: January 28, 2021, 04:15:39 AM »
Rating not shown for .tiff files.
Have given ratings using another program and they are read fine by PM6 plus for raw files e.g. .cr2 but not for .tiff files (not checked .jpg).  The .tiff/.jpg images don't have sidecar files and I would like to avoid adding them if possible. Am assuming it is one of the settings on the preference page that needs changing but not sure which setting to use.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Rating not shown for .tiff files
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2021, 09:04:39 AM »
Mike,

Rating not shown for .tiff files.
Have given ratings using another program and they are read fine by PM6 plus for raw files e.g. .cr2 but not for .tiff files (not checked .jpg).  The .tiff/.jpg images don't have sidecar files and I would like to avoid adding them if possible. Am assuming it is one of the settings on the preference page that needs changing but not sure which setting to use.

Metadata is embedded in JPEGs and TIFFs.  There should never be XMP sidecar files for those two file formats.

Can you share one of the TIFF files that you've rated in another app?  (Which app did the rating?)

Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline mike999

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2021, 10:23:08 AM »
Actually I have just checked again and there are a few rated .cr2 files missing not just .tiff 

This seems to be a strange issue as when I tried to find the files by browsing by rating then they did not show up.
But when I browsed the folder the files are in they initially did not show up but then after sorting by various things they are now showing up there with the the correct star rating.
Now when I have gone back to browsing the whole catalogue by rating the missing files have turned up.

Is there some background process or similar that is only triggered when you start sorting the files.  I added them last night so it has been many hours so is not just a delay in getting into database.

Anyway problem seems to have resolved itself, will have to remember to try some sorts or similar before checking if all the files have got in.

By the way I am scanning in the whole directory again (including recreating thumbnails) as I don't know how to just read the metadata looking for changes in that.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2021, 10:32:05 AM »
Mike,

Is there some background process or similar that is only triggered when you start sorting the files?

When you view the files in Photo Mechanic Plus, any changes detected in the metadata since it was cataloged will cause the catalog to be updated with the new metadata.  You should briefly see status of the changes taking place in the Tasks pane.

-Kirk