Author Topic: Catalog thumbnails preview takes very long and disappear again  (Read 12615 times)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Catalog thumbnails preview takes very long and disappear again
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2021, 02:48:14 PM »
Erich,

If you switch back to build 5438, does the problem go away?

You can get build 5438 here: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=13808.0

-Kirk

Offline FlyingLeopard.ch

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Flying Leopard
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2021, 12:35:14 AM »
The problem has been solved for me, which I am very, very happy about.  ;D But it has nothing to do with the PM+ version, I'm still working with the latest version.

During many other tests, I noticed that the problem with the thumbnails started whenever I was looking for pictures from a specific folder. The problem remained even if I was looking for pictures from another folder. Only after a restart of PM+ everything went fast again. In this folder were 301 Nikon NEF files and 301 associated XMP sidecar files. Accessed via the Navigator the images of this folder had also much longer when loading. Lookend at this folder in Windows Explorer I couldn't see anything unusual (no other files in the folder and also the file sizes were inconspicuous).

How did I solve the problem? I simply changed the name of the folder and then shut down/restarted my Synology NAS. After that I gave the folder the old name again. From that moment on, I had no problems. I'm not a professional when it comes to PC, but maybe there was just some kind of address problem that was solved by renaming. Probably it's more likely the problem was the Synology NAS and a reboot was necessary. In any case in the future, I will restart PC and NAS when new problems arise. I would recommend that to you, Andreas, too.
www.FlyingLeopard.ch Aviation and Wildlife Photography

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2021, 08:11:04 AM »
Erich,

The problem has been solved for me, which I am very, very happy about.  ;D But it has nothing to do with the PM+ version, I'm still working with the latest version.

During many other tests, I noticed that the problem with the thumbnails started whenever I was looking for pictures from a specific folder. The problem remained even if I was looking for pictures from another folder. Only after a restart of PM+ everything went fast again. In this folder were 301 Nikon NEF files and 301 associated XMP sidecar files. Accessed via the Navigator the images of this folder had also much longer when loading. Lookend at this folder in Windows Explorer I couldn't see anything unusual (no other files in the folder and also the file sizes were inconspicuous).

How did I solve the problem? I simply changed the name of the folder and then shut down/restarted my Synology NAS. After that I gave the folder the old name again. From that moment on, I had no problems. I'm not a professional when it comes to PC, but maybe there was just some kind of address problem that was solved by renaming. Probably it's more likely the problem was the Synology NAS and a reboot was necessary. In any case in the future, I will restart PC and NAS when new problems arise. I would recommend that to you, Andreas, too.

What was the name of the folder before you changed it and what is its new name?

-Kirk

Offline FlyingLeopard.ch

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Flying Leopard
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2021, 08:51:07 AM »
"20200713 Niederhorn" (with problems)
"20200713 Niederhorn XXX" (changed name & restart NAS)
"20200713 Niederhorn" (changed back to original name > no problems anymore)

Inside this main folder I have 4 subfolders; I did not changed anything with them:
"4K 20200713 Niederhorn" (empty folder)
"FL 20200713 Niederhorn" (empty folder)
"RAW 20200713 Niederhorn" (301 .nef and 301 .xmp files)
"SM 20200713 Niederhorn" (empty folder)

Offline Odd Skjaeveland

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2021, 01:15:57 AM »
"20200713 Niederhorn" (with problems)
"20200713 Niederhorn XXX" (changed name & restart NAS)
"20200713 Niederhorn" (changed back to original name > no problems anymore)
Long shot:
Synology is (or at least used to be) Linux with Samba providing Windows type shared folders. Linux is case sensitive with respect to folder and file names, Windows is not. It may be worth the trouble to log on to the Synology box (web interface) to inspect folder names from Synology's perspective.
--
Odd S.

Offline AndreasG

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2021, 03:14:56 AM »
Hi together.
Thanks for your tip Erich.
To change folder names is not really the solution for me. The folder names on my synology are the same since the first version I used from PM+ and all was working very very well and extremely fast.
The only change for me was updating to a later version as 5438 on Mac OS, also unix system.
But there was something else not working. If I disconnect synology for working with the offline catalogues, it didn't work.
The same problems I described before. Thumbnail previews took very long time and disappear. And this should work correct. But it didn't.
That's what's strange.
So in my idea, there is something else what changed in the updates later then 5438.

- Andreas

Offline FlyingLeopard.ch

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Flying Leopard
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2021, 09:41:53 PM »
Hello Andreas,
Please excuse my late feedback. I've been working with PM+ build 5560 and growing catalogs for a few days now and it's still running flawlessly. Did you try restarting your Synology NAS before you reset the PM version? It helped me (I don't think renaming the folder was the step that helped)

Offline erbro

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2021, 07:42:29 AM »
HEllo,

I have the same issue on my side with 2 main behaviors described in this post

1) In the organizer when I browse between folders, it is extremely slow.  I get a message "Searching 1 catalog for  ... (see attachment)
2) When closing PM+, I also get the message "the catalog is taking a while to stop. Continue waiting"
3) I have version 5560

Please note this happens also for folder on the PC on which PM+ is installed

Best regards
Eric

Offline Bill Kelly

• Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2021, 10:23:24 AM »
Hi Eric,

In the organizer when I browse between folders, it is extremely slow.

If you haven't already, please try the "Optimize SQL Query Planning" button in the Maintenance options for your catalog(s) in the Manage Catalogs pane.

If that doesn't help, we'll need to troubleshoot further.

Thanks,

Bill

Offline erbro

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2021, 12:43:44 AM »
HEllo,

I did the execute the  "Optimize SQL Query planning" function.  It looks to be better.  In case it is degrading again i nthe next days, I will contact you again.

Thank you for the support
Best regards
Eric

Offline AndreasG

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2021, 12:54:01 PM »
Hello again.
This evening I tested ist again.
It's really not working. I downloaded the update, installed it.
Everything extremely slow. Restarted Synology and MBP, did all the tips in the posts before. Nothing works like before. So I went back to 5438 and everything is very fine and fast.
There must really be a change in the updates after 5438.
I attached two pictures.

I don't know what's the problem. I can't use the updates later then 5438.

- Andreas

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2021, 01:23:17 PM »
Andreas,

This evening I tested ist again.
It's really not working. I downloaded the update, installed it.
Everything extremely slow. Restarted Synology and MBP, did all the tips in the posts before. Nothing works like before. So I went back to 5438 and everything is very fine and fast.
There must really be a change in the updates after 5438.
I attached two pictures.

I don't know what's the problem. I can't use the updates later then 5438.

Stay with build 5438 for now.  We're working with others that are experiencing the sort of issues you're having and once we've fixed the underlying issue we will make a new build and you can try it out then.

Until then, we'd like to have a copy of your catalog if you don't mind?  I'll send you our FTP server credentials in a personal message.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline AndreasG

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2021, 10:31:34 PM »
Hi Kirk.
please send me the link for the ftp-server.

- Andreas

Offline Ayoul

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2021, 09:04:20 AM »
Hello. User of PM5 and PM6 here.

I tried PM+ and I'm facing the same problem with the thumbnails previews... It stays forever on "Searching 1 catalog for: (?-i) path + folder" After several minutes, the thumbnails are displayed only when my cursor is on it but are not displayed otherwise.

Same message as Andreas G when I close PM+.

If there is anything more that you need to help you solve the problem, let me know what other informations you want.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2021, 11:31:43 AM »
Hello. User of PM5 and PM6 here.

I tried PM+ and I'm facing the same problem with the thumbnails previews... It stays forever on "Searching 1 catalog for: (?-i) path + folder" After several minutes, the thumbnails are displayed only when my cursor is on it but are not displayed otherwise.

Same message as Andreas G when I close PM+.

If there is anything more that you need to help you solve the problem, let me know what other informations you want.

Could I have you turn on Catalog debug logging and try again, please?  From the Help menu, choose "Edit Debug Settings..." and find the item titled CATALOG_DEBUG_LOGGING and set its checkbox.  Then click the Close button.  Then restart Photo Mechanic Plus and reproduce the problem.  From the Help menu choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Windows Explorer/Finder window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

NOTE: you'll have to get the problem to happen again now that you've enabled logging.

Thanks,

-Kirk