Author Topic: Catalog thumbnails preview takes very long and disappear again  (Read 12617 times)

Offline FlyingLeopard.ch

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Flying Leopard
Catalog thumbnails preview takes very long and disappear again
« on: February 13, 2021, 09:44:21 AM »
Dear Camera-Bits Team. I have a strange problem with an extremely slow speed of catalogs. At first I thought it was because of the speed of the LAN cable and/or my NAS. But after long tests, the following problem also becomes apparent, if both the folder with my photos (in my test only a single, small folder with only 50 photos, all Nikon D850 RAW files!) as well as the catalog are stored on the Windows 10 PC. In the first step I added the 50 images to my test catalog, which took 13 seconds. Not insanely fast, but OK. Then I searched for these images in numerous tests with different search parameters via Search, Browse or Filter. In the list it immediately shows me the number of pictures. But in the thumbnails window I only see empty placeholders for the thumbnails. Also the text under the thumbnails (image name etc.) is not visible, just a small red dot (see screenshot). I did a lot of tests with the same 50 images and stopped the time until instead of the placeholders finally the thumbnails could be seen. The fastest was 6 seconds, the longest was 4:30 minutes! What I can say is that the type of search or the search term doesn't matter. For example, search for 'Headline': Thumbnails there after 50 seconds during the first test. Then close the browser tab and done exactly the same search again takes 4:30 minutes, the third time 6 seconds, the fourth time 2:10 minutes, etc. It also doesn't matter what kind of files were in the test folder (JPEG, RAW with XMP, RAW without XMP) The problem goes even further: once the thumnails are there, they disappear as soon as I click on one of the thumnails. At some point the thumbnails come back, but clicking on them again is still not possible.

I work with Windows 10, all updates made. Currently I have the latest PM+ version (build 5560), but the problem was already with 5551 and earlier. Attached you will find my PM log file. 

I very much hope that you can help me!
www.FlyingLeopard.ch Aviation and Wildlife Photography

Offline FlyingLeopard.ch

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Flying Leopard
Re: Catalog thumbnails preview takes very long and disappear again
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2021, 09:57:30 AM »
Maybe this also helps to get to the bottom of the problem: When I finish PM+, this message appears after about 2 minutes:

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2021, 01:00:07 PM »
Dear Camera-Bits Team. I have a strange problem with an extremely slow speed of catalogs. At first I thought it was because of the speed of the LAN cable and/or my NAS. But after long tests, the following problem also becomes apparent, if both the folder with my photos (in my test only a single, small folder with only 50 photos, all Nikon D850 RAW files!) as well as the catalog are stored on the Windows 10 PC. In the first step I added the 50 images to my test catalog, which took 13 seconds. Not insanely fast, but OK. Then I searched for these images in numerous tests with different search parameters via Search, Browse or Filter. In the list it immediately shows me the number of pictures. But in the thumbnails window I only see empty placeholders for the thumbnails. Also the text under the thumbnails (image name etc.) is not visible, just a small red dot (see screenshot). I did a lot of tests with the same 50 images and stopped the time until instead of the placeholders finally the thumbnails could be seen. The fastest was 6 seconds, the longest was 4:30 minutes! What I can say is that the type of search or the search term doesn't matter. For example, search for 'Headline': Thumbnails there after 50 seconds during the first test. Then close the browser tab and done exactly the same search again takes 4:30 minutes, the third time 6 seconds, the fourth time 2:10 minutes, etc. It also doesn't matter what kind of files were in the test folder (JPEG, RAW with XMP, RAW without XMP) The problem goes even further: once the thumnails are there, they disappear as soon as I click on one of the thumnails. At some point the thumbnails come back, but clicking on them again is still not possible.

I work with Windows 10, all updates made. Currently I have the latest PM+ version (build 5560), but the problem was already with 5551 and earlier. Attached you will find my PM log file.

Could I have you turn on Catalog debug logging and try again, please?  From the Help menu, choose "Edit Debug Settings..." and find the item titled CATALOG_DEBUG_LOGGING and set its checkbox.  Then click the Close button.  Then restart Photo Mechanic Plus and reproduce the problem.  From the Help menu choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Windows Explorer window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

NOTE: you'll have to get the problem to happen again now that you've enabled logging.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline FlyingLeopard.ch

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Flying Leopard
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2021, 02:16:01 AM »
Dear Kirk
Thank you for your quick response! On a weekend day, wow! I took the steps you wanted. After restarting PM+, it first worked as if the problem had been fixed. During the first 4 or 5 browses the thumbnails were there very quickly and I could also click on them. Then I tried another catalog and the problem was back. At least that loading the thumbnails took a long time. I was able to click on it without them disappearing again. I then switched back to the small test catalog and the problem was completely there again (also no click on it possible).

Erich

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2021, 06:21:24 AM »
Erich,

Thank you for your quick response! On a weekend day, wow! I took the steps you wanted. After restarting PM+, it first worked as if the problem had been fixed. During the first 4 or 5 browses the thumbnails were there very quickly and I could also click on them. Then I tried another catalog and the problem was back. At least that loading the thumbnails took a long time. I was able to click on it without them disappearing again. I then switched back to the small test catalog and the problem was completely there again (also no click on it possible).

Thank you for the logs.  Now that you have done this for us, please follow the instructions in this post:

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=13984.msg69191#msg69191

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline FlyingLeopard.ch

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Flying Leopard
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2021, 10:30:06 PM »
Hi Kirk
Unfortunately, no success. I did "Optimize SQL Query Planning," even several times. Also "Re-index Catalog". I then removed all images from the existing catalogs and deleted the catalogs. Then I created two new catalogs with a few hundred pictures. Again, the same problem. And again, "Optimize SQL Query Planning" and "Re-index Catalog" tried again without success. Attached the PM log file.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2021, 12:58:35 PM »
Thank you for the log Erich.

Catalog searches are happening quickly so we don't think that the database is the culprit.  We like for you to turn on PMCACHE_LOGGING and restart Photo Mechanic Plus.  This level of logging will produce a lot of data so please try and reproduce the problem straight away and then produce the logs again.  Then turn off PMCACHE_LOGGING and restart Photo Mechanic Plus.

Once you've produced the zipped PM log file, post it here, please.

-Kirk

Offline FlyingLeopard.ch

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Flying Leopard
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2021, 02:17:49 PM »
Thank you very much.
I turned on "PMCACHE_LOGGING" and then finished PM+. Normally I have to wait 1-2 minutes at this point before I can reostart PM+. But this time I couldn't start the program again even after more than 5 minutes. After restarting the PC, I was able to restart PM+. In "Browse" I clicked on some of the keywords that are in the metadata of my photos. As before, it was always a long time before the thumbnails were finally visible. And clicking on the thumbnails (double click for the preview window) does not work partly because the thumbnails disappear again. I have now clicked on a few dozen keywords in my very small catalogs (only 462 and 301 images respectively). In between there was a short phase in which the searched pictures were displayed very quickly but suddenly it was slow again as before.

Attached the Log file, hopefully it will help you find the problem. Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2021, 02:52:39 PM »
I turned on "PMCACHE_LOGGING" and then finished PM+. Normally I have to wait 1-2 minutes at this point before I can reostart PM+. But this time I couldn't start the program again even after more than 5 minutes. After restarting the PC, I was able to restart PM+. In "Browse" I clicked on some of the keywords that are in the metadata of my photos. As before, it was always a long time before the thumbnails were finally visible. And clicking on the thumbnails (double click for the preview window) does not work partly because the thumbnails disappear again. I have now clicked on a few dozen keywords in my very small catalogs (only 462 and 301 images respectively). In between there was a short phase in which the searched pictures were displayed very quickly but suddenly it was slow again as before.

Attached the Log file, hopefully it will help you find the problem. Thanks!

Thanks.  We're looking into it.  In the meantime, can you tell me if you were to open a folder (Favorites/Navigator/Drag and Drop from Windows Explorer) as a contact sheet, do any of these issues occur?

-Kirk

Offline FlyingLeopard.ch

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Flying Leopard
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2021, 02:59:37 PM »
Sometimes a bit slow and sometimes the program is not responding for a short while when I open a new contact sheet. But most of the time no problem to open a new contact sheet in Navigator or Favorites.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2021, 04:16:45 PM »
Erich,

Sometimes a bit slow and sometimes the program is not responding for a short while when I open a new contact sheet. But most of the time no problem to open a new contact sheet in Navigator or Favorites.

How about specifically with one of the folders that contains images that you're having trouble with in search results?

-Kirk

Offline FlyingLeopard.ch

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Flying Leopard
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2021, 08:24:36 PM »
I'm sure there's no connection. But I will do another series of tests to see if PM+ always hangs when opening specific folders in the navigator. The thumbnail problem in the organizer also existed with a specially created test folder with completely different photos. Also, the location of the images and catalog was different (drive locally on the PC instead of on the NAS).

Offline FlyingLeopard.ch

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Flying Leopard
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2021, 11:11:21 AM »
Today I did a lot of tests again:

1: it has nothing to do with the location of the images or catalogs (local drive or NAS).
2: the file format doesn't matter (Nikon NEF files with/without XMP sidecar file).
3: occurs only intermittently (on phases where thumbnails are displayed very quickly, suddenly very slow follow again).
4: "Optimize SQL Query Planning" or "Re-index Catalog" do not help.
5: restarting PM+ or PC's does not help.
6: the problem also exists with newly created catalogs.
7: open folders in the Navigator or Favorites is possible in 99% of cases and the thumbnails are displayed quickly in the contact sheets as usual. There are probably only problems if I want to open many folders too quickly one after the other.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2021, 04:40:15 PM »
Today I did a lot of tests again

Thank you for the additional investigation and testing.  Would it be possible for you to record your screen showing everything you do from starting a search/browse/filter all the way through to the images coming and going?  And then share it with me?  (privately is fine.)

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline AndreasG

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2021, 09:54:17 AM »
Hi together.
Same problem here.
Since I installed any version after PM+ 5438 I have the same problems described in this topic.
If I open a catlog it takes very long time to show the thumbnails and then they dissapear.
My system is a MacBook Pro 16 / 2019 on Big Sur latest version 11.2.1. The pictures are in several folders on a Synology NAS. The catalogues are in the picture folder on my MacBook Pro.
I tested several things, reindexing, optimizing SQL, deleting catalogue and creating a new one.
Everything with no success. Nothing works.
I decided to go back an reinstall version 5438 and all is fine again.
Something must have been changed in your updates after 5438.

Best regards
Andreas