Author Topic: "Date Created"/Photoshop "File Info" panel down the line  (Read 2486 times)

Offline langer74mark

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
"Date Created"/Photoshop "File Info" panel down the line
« on: March 21, 2021, 02:14:16 AM »
Photo Mechanic Plus Version 6.0, build 5560 (6e1b8a6), MacBook Pro/Big Sur 11.2.3.

If I shoot tethered with Capture One, then use Photomechanic Plus to input metadata, before returning to C1 to export the files, how do I have the "Date Created" field when the File Info panel is viewed in Photoshop/File Info show just the day of the shoot?

I thought setting the "Date" field in PM to the correct date would do this, but no such luck... The "Date Created" field remains blank further down the line.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Mark
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 04:57:40 PM by langer74mark »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: "Date Created"/Photoshop "File Info" panel down the line
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2021, 09:04:46 AM »
Mark,

Photo Mechanic Plus Version 6.0, build 5560 (6e1b8a6), MacBook Pro/Big Sur 11.2.3.

If I shoot tethered with Capture One, then use Photomechanic Plus to input metadata, before returning to Photomechanic to export the files, how do I have the "Date Created" field when the File Info panel is viewed in Photoshop/File Info show just the day of the shoot?

I thought setting the "Date" field in PM to the correct date would do this, but no such luck... The "Date Created" field remains blank further down the line.

That's the IPTC Date.  You need to adjust the Capture Time.  You can use the Adjust Capture Dates and Times command on the Tools menu to adjust your capture date/time.

Is there no way to get Capture One to provide the correct Capture Time when shooting tethered?  Having to adjust every shoot would get tiresome.

-Kirk

Offline langer74mark

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2021, 05:15:26 PM »
Hi Kirk

Which is the IPTC Date... The “Date” in the Metadata (IPTC) Template or the “Date Created” in Photoshop?

What is the “Date Created” field in Photoshop for? Is it the actual capture time of the photograph, and nothing else?

That field is always blank. I was thinking just the date of the shoot would make sense for how I organise things, but if it has to be date and time then that is fine. I want it to be something, though! I don’t need to adjust anything, was just thinking the time isn’t important, but the date is, that’s all.

Is there some setting/field/code in PM that will fill in that “Date Created” field further down the line in Photoshop? Capture One has nothing you can set that refers to date or time... The metadata in that programme is limited, which is what’s led me to you guys.

This is obviously something to do with exporting files from Capture One, but I was hoping I could use PM to “push”, kind of, that metadata forwards, like it will do with, say, the Person Shown info, for which Capture has no field at all. No can do, though?

Mark

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2021, 06:39:23 PM »
Mark,

Which is the IPTC Date... The “Date” in the Metadata (IPTC) Template or the “Date Created” in Photoshop?

What is the “Date Created” field in Photoshop for? Is it the actual capture time of the photograph, and nothing else?

That field is always blank. I was thinking just the date of the shoot would make sense for how I organise things, but if it has to be date and time then that is fine. I want it to be something, though! I don’t need to adjust anything, was just thinking the time isn’t important, but the date is, that’s all.

What kind of images are you producing when shooting tethered?

When I take a JPEG shot from a camera (Canon 5D Mark II) and set the date in the Metadata Info dialog, I see it in the "Date Created" (in the IPTC Image section) in Photoshop's File Info panel.

-Kirk

Offline langer74mark

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2021, 05:32:01 AM »
Hi again, Kirk

What kind of images are you producing when shooting tethered?

When I take a JPEG shot from a camera (Canon 5D Mark II) and set the date in the Metadata Info dialog, I see it in the "Date Created" (in the IPTC Image section) in Photoshop's File Info panel.

Ok, so after you said this I tried shooting a JPEG (I'm using a Nikon D810) and the date metadata is there, right where it should be. If I take a Raw file and process it in Lightroom... The date metadata is there.

So it looks as if this is a purely Capture One thing. If I process a JPEG using Capture One and then use Photo Mechanic to add in the date then that works, also... The Date Created field is completed and I can change the date using the dropdowns etc. in the Metadata (IPTC) Template.

But if I do that on the Raw file before processing it, then go back into Capture One and export to JPEG/TIFF, whatever, then the IPTC Date metadata is stripped out again. It's as if Capture One simply has no IPTC Date field, even under the hood. It will always strip out that metadata from a D810 Raw file, at the very least.

Mmmm, frustrating, as I need to be able to apply the IPTC Date etc. at the Raw stage, as I'm sure you'll appreciate.

Heigh ho. Thanks for your help. At least I now kind of understand what's going on and that I'm using Photo Mechanic correctly, even if there isn't much I can do about the actual problem!

Mark