Author Topic: Flip/Mirror Image feature  (Read 6308 times)

Offline csborgman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Flip/Mirror Image feature
« on: April 25, 2007, 10:22:29 PM »
Sounded like a simple question to me, although the Apple Aperture rep was stunned that such a simple feature could have been overlooked.  LightRoom has a Mirror All function which flips every picture, not good if the client want's to compair images.

So, any way to flip/mirror an image in Preview mode?  If not, possible feature in a future version?

Thanks Kirk.  cb

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Flip/Mirror Image feature
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 10:59:48 PM »
Sounded like a simple question to me, although the Apple Aperture rep was stunned that such a simple feature could have been overlooked.  LightRoom has a Mirror All function which flips every picture, not good if the client want's to compair images.

So, any way to flip/mirror an image in Preview mode?  If not, possible feature in a future version?

Flip the image horizontally or vertically?  What would be the purpose?

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 02:23:53 AM »
Flip the image horizontally or vertically?  What would be the purpose?

For certain editorila purposes designers and so on can be handy to see what this image would look like mirrored. In a newspaper it does matter which direction your face is looking (into the page or outside from the paper).

I can imagine someone might need it, however I never used such a feature even in programmes that offer it.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline csborgman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 01:26:52 PM »
What's the purpose?  Where do I start?.....

As an advertising/lifestyle/fashion photographer (http://chrisborgman.com) there are MANY times when I need to see a flipped/mirrored (flipped horz.) image for myself or to show a client during consultation.  This is a matter of design while editing.  Being able to view an imaged flippled while making selections for a series of photos such as for website, portfolio, promotional cards, books, magazine layouts and covers, newspaper layouts and covers, etc... would be a great help.  I would also use the feature while selectiong elements for compositing in Photoshop.  Being able to see 2 images side by side (one background, one subject) and then being able to flip it to see if it works better W/O going into PS every time would be a BIG time saver.

I just thought if you can crop an image why can't you flip it.  I would love to see this in PM but I understand it's place in the workflow.  You put in all the features people want and then you get Aperture/Lightroom that's slow and doesn't run well on older laptops.  I just thought that these programs offer everything but don't do a simple task as flip image.  Maybe PM can be the first to offer it.  The others will follow....

Chris

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 03:27:21 PM »
Chris,

What's the purpose?  Where do I start?.....

As an advertising/lifestyle/fashion photographer (http://chrisborgman.com) there are MANY times when I need to see a flipped/mirrored (flipped horz.) image for myself or to show a client during consultation.  This is a matter of design while editing.  Being able to view an imaged flippled while making selections for a series of photos such as for website, portfolio, promotional cards, books, magazine layouts and covers, newspaper layouts and covers, etc... would be a great help.  I would also use the feature while selectiong elements for compositing in Photoshop.  Being able to see 2 images side by side (one background, one subject) and then being able to flip it to see if it works better W/O going into PS every time would be a BIG time saver.

I just thought if you can crop an image why can't you flip it.  I would love to see this in PM but I understand it's place in the workflow.  You put in all the features people want and then you get Aperture/Lightroom that's slow and doesn't run well on older laptops.  I just thought that these programs offer everything but don't do a simple task as flip image.  Maybe PM can be the first to offer it.  The others will follow....

Flipping an image is trivial, actually.  It's just that any text in the image will be backwards (or upside-down) and I always figured that would be of no use to anyone.

I can put it on the wish list.

-Kirk

Offline csborgman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 01:01:03 PM »
I personally shoot very few images with text.  For most photographers I think it's a small percentage of images taken with text.  Browse any stock agency website. 

For me, I don't even care if it opens in PS as flipped, I just need to preview the mirrored image in PM.  Flipping in PS later is not a problem... once the correct file(s) has been selected via PM.

If it's easy, I hope to see it sometime soon.  Thanks Kirk.

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 07:02:57 AM »
I can imagine someone might need it, however I never used such a feature even in programmes that offer it.

I agree - certainly any paper I work for would not accept a flipped photo, but it shows how PM is now being used more widely and not just by photojournalists.  I am definitely of the school of thought that says if you want someone facing one way, make sure he's facing that way when you take the picture! :)

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 02:13:57 PM »
I am definitely of the school of thought that says if you want someone facing one way, make sure he's facing that way when you take the picture! :)

Well it sounds good but in practice you can never know which paper will need your image facing a direction next year....so you cannot allways grant what is needed. The subject may be well dead and forgotten when the need for the image facing the other direction appears. Try to compose for this...
,-)))
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com