Author Topic: Corrupted Database  (Read 1997 times)

Offline george_51

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Corrupted Database
« on: May 15, 2021, 07:20:01 AM »
I'm not exactly sure what I did to do corrupt my entire photos database - but I was moving lots of folders around on my Mac and iCloud. The next time I opened PM+ found I had created problems within the database.

Some folders had duplicates of all the pictures in that folder but with a changed number for the duplicate - for example Albatrosses Kaikoura 1 2 when the original image was Albatrosses Kaikoura 1, sometimes there was no duplicate but a PM graphic and the same type of duplication of the picture number. Sometimes there were a few duplicates, sometimes none at all.

I've attached a screenshot of a typical folder.

It's not been a problem as I wanted to tidy up some of the picture titles and numbering anyway so I've carefully gone through all of the folders doing that while eliminating all the duplicate pictures and the duplicate PM Graphic as well.

Have nearly finished so no support needed.

Moral of the story seems to be take care when moving stuff around!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Corrupted Database
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2021, 12:08:47 PM »
George,

I'm not exactly sure what I did to do corrupt my entire photos database - but I was moving lots of folders around on my Mac and iCloud. The next time I opened PM+ found I had created problems within the database.

Some folders had duplicates of all the pictures in that folder but with a changed number for the duplicate - for example Albatrosses Kaikoura 1 2 when the original image was Albatrosses Kaikoura 1, sometimes there was no duplicate but a PM graphic and the same type of duplication of the picture number. Sometimes there were a few duplicates, sometimes none at all.

How were you moving your folders around?  From within Photo Mechanic Plus or outside (in the Finder)?

Can you tell me how to reproduce the problem?

-Kirk

Offline george_51

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2021, 01:27:59 PM »
PM+ was not open at the time I moved all of my MacBook’s ‘Pictures’ folder to iCloud and having decided it was a slow way of generating some more HDD space I moved them all back again.

Next time I opened PM+ I found the errors shown in the screenshot in all of the folders.

I’ve almost finished the clean up and renaming and renumbering and what has been done has stayed that way through several PM+ openings and quits so it looks to be stable. I’ve also done a Catalog Maintenance and everything has been fine.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2021, 07:21:06 AM »
George,

PM+ was not open at the time I moved all of my MacBook’s ‘Pictures’ folder to iCloud and having decided it was a slow way of generating some more HDD space I moved them all back again.

Next time I opened PM+ I found the errors shown in the screenshot in all of the folders.

I’ve almost finished the clean up and renaming and renumbering and what has been done has stayed that way through several PM+ openings and quits so it looks to be stable. I’ve also done a Catalog Maintenance and everything has been fine.

OK, so your catalog database was never corrupted?  If it were corrupted, I would expect nothing catalog-related for that catalog to function: no filtering, searching, browsing, ability to see images referenced by it in any way.  And it would not be correctable.

-Kirk

Offline george_51

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2021, 11:00:18 AM »
Not sure what you mean by the catalog being not corrupted.

All folders had duplicated images within.

Most often with a Name 1.NEF image and a Name 1 2.NEF image, Name 2.NEF plus a Name 2 2.NEF, with the 2 ones being duplicates.

Or a Name 1.NEF and an extra Name 6.NEF and Name 7.NEF image etc. when there were only 5 different images originally, often also an icon with Name 6.XMP etc. as well.

Filtering showed both the Name 1 and Name 1.2 images - and both identical.

Anyway now sorted by deleting all duplicates and renaming and renumbering.

Filter produces one only image now not two identical images.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2021, 12:33:15 PM »
George,

Anyway now sorted by deleting all duplicates and renaming and renumbering.

Filter produces one only image now not two identical images.

I'm glad you've solved your problem.

-Kirk

Offline george_51

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2021, 01:21:05 PM »
Quite therapeutic and a pleasant diversion from some horrible weather in the UK where it’s 10C colder than it was this time last year.