Author Topic: TIFF (RAW) + JPEG Combined View in Photo Mechanics Plus 6  (Read 1474 times)

Offline kwinsch

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
TIFF (RAW) + JPEG Combined View in Photo Mechanics Plus 6
« on: May 19, 2021, 11:05:38 AM »
One of my cameras outputs only 48 Bit TIFF Files with almost empty metadata. Since they are arround 400MB a piece, I always post create JPEG companion files with the same metadata, for culling. Photo Mechanics open these folders without problems, but never combines the JPEG together with the TIFF (RAW). With other RAW files (Fuji), I have no problems.

I have found different topics in the forum and on google, but have not found information on the logic, how Photo Mechanics decides, which files should be grouped together. I have also tried the Photo Mechanics own export "Save as" feature, creating high quality JPEG alongside the TIFF, with EXIF copy, same file name etc. But the files do never get recogniced. I have a lot of experience writting scripts, if I know how the JPEG should look like, I will probably be able to generate the correct format.

Any hints?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: TIFF (RAW) + JPEG Combined View in Photo Mechanics Plus 6
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2021, 01:18:45 PM »
One of my cameras outputs only 48 Bit TIFF Files with almost empty metadata. Since they are arround 400MB a piece, I always post create JPEG companion files with the same metadata, for culling. Photo Mechanics open these folders without problems, but never combines the JPEG together with the TIFF (RAW). With other RAW files (Fuji), I have no problems.

I have found different topics in the forum and on google, but have not found information on the logic, how Photo Mechanics decides, which files should be grouped together. I have also tried the Photo Mechanics own export "Save as" feature, creating high quality JPEG alongside the TIFF, with EXIF copy, same file name etc. But the files do never get recogniced. I have a lot of experience writting scripts, if I know how the JPEG should look like, I will probably be able to generate the correct format.

The issue is that PM doesn't think that your TIFF files are RAW files at all and as such won't treat them as RAW files for the purposes of pairing.  It's not a problem with your JPEGs.  Does PM render your TIFF files?

-Kirk

Offline aamodio

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2023, 11:02:04 AM »
So there is no way to view TIFF/JPEG as combined images? I'm search a quick mode to review very big TIFF files.

Thanks,
Alessandro

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2023, 11:49:37 AM »
So there is no way to view TIFF/JPEG as combined images? I'm search a quick mode to review very big TIFF files.

Thanks,
Alessandro

That is correct. Raw files will combine with a JPEG or HIF files of the matching base name. TIFF files will not be combined with other file types.