Author Topic: Arrangement in Collections  (Read 2648 times)

Offline michaelbothager

• View Profile
Arrangement in Collections
« on: May 26, 2021, 10:38:10 AM »
Hello

When using the Organizer, is it not possible to make an arrangement in a collection, manually changing the order of the images?

• When opening a collection contact sheet, the sort drop down defaults to Arrangement (and not Filename, as set in the preferences)
  • The "Make Arrangement" menu item in the "View" menu is greyed out at all times
  • When I drag an image to another position in the contact sheet, nothing happens, not even the highlight insertion point is shown
  • If I change the sort order to another (like Capture Time) and back to Arrangement, the insertion point marker shows when dragging, and the thumbnail is briefly moved to the new position in the contact sheet, before jumping to the original position (where the order is by Filename) - the whole contact sheet flashes, and all thumbnails are redrawn
  • Reordering with Arrangement works fine when using Navigator mode
  • I have, a long time ago, had a Beta installed, maybe some settings from back then is making a fuss?

PM+ build 5820, macOS 10.14.6

All the best
Michael

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Arrangement in Collections
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2021, 11:03:53 AM »
Michael,

When using the Organizer, is it not possible to make an arrangement in a collection, manually changing the order of the images?

• When opening a collection contact sheet, the sort drop down defaults to Arrangement (and not Filename, as set in the preferences)
  • The "Make Arrangement" menu item in the "View" menu is greyed out at all times
  • When I drag an image to another position in the contact sheet, nothing happens, not even the highlight insertion point is shown
  • If I change the sort order to another (like Capture Time) and back to Arrangement, the insertion point marker shows when dragging, and the thumbnail is briefly moved to the new position in the contact sheet, before jumping to the original position (where the order is by Filename) - the whole contact sheet flashes, and all thumbnails are redrawn
  • Reordering with Arrangement works fine when using Navigator mode
  • I have, a long time ago, had a Beta installed, maybe some settings from back then is making a fuss?

Thanks for the heads-up.  I see that it is fundamentally broken.  I will work on a fix.

-Kirk

Offline michaelbothager

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 12:09:47 PM »

Thanks for the heads-up.  I see that it is fundamentally broken.  I will work on a fix.

-Kirk

Thank you, I was starting to question my own sanity over this.

All the best
Michael

Offline michaelbothager

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2021, 01:31:44 AM »
Kirk,

just a little more information, I just discovered this tidbit (trying to find a setting which prevents the "flashing" of thumbnails and preview upon resume).

In my preferences, I had "Only allow arrangements when in Arrangement sort mode" set. I've toggled this setting off, and now it is possible to reorder the images in a Collection, and the order stays persistent after closing and reopening the Collection. Haven't tried closing/reopening PM+ yet.

Maybe this help in the debugging.

/Michael

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2021, 10:18:21 AM »
Michael,

Could you please try this build?  It should solve the problems with Arrangements in Collections:

https://www.camerabits.com/download/PhotoMechanicPlusR5859_d59d18d6.dmg

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline michaelbothager

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2021, 11:16:47 AM »
Kirk,

Michael,

Could you please try this build?  It should solve the problems with Arrangements in Collections:

Thanks,

-Kirk

Sure, no problem.

I had a qick(ish) run of the build, and it looks good:

• Opening a collection starts with sort order Arrangement, but my default sort order is Filename (also for a new collection, created in this build)
  • I can reorder the images, and the image stays in the order – the arrangement sticks ;o)
  • When quitting and reopening PM+, the sort order in the arrangement is persistent - ;o)
  • Menu item View/Make Arrangement is no longer greyed out
  • When changing the sort order from Arrangement to any other order, and back to Arrangement, the thumbnails stays in the correct order created in the arrangement
  • All the thumbnails still flashes and redraws when dropping a thumbnail in a new position (quite annoying)

Anything else you would like me to test?

/Michael

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2021, 11:48:00 AM »
Michael,

Sure, no problem.

I had a qick(ish) run of the build, and it looks good:

Opening a collection starts with sort order Arrangement, but my default sort order is Filename (also for a new collection, created in this build)

Good.  This is intentional.

I can reorder the images, and the image stays in the order – the arrangement sticks ;o)
When quitting and reopening PM+, the sort order in the arrangement is persistent - ;o)
Menu item View/Make Arrangement is no longer greyed out
When changing the sort order from Arrangement to any other order, and back to Arrangement, the thumbnails stays in the correct order created in the arrangement

Good.

All the thumbnails still flashes and redraws when dropping a thumbnail in a new position (quite annoying)

Can't really be avoided.  The arrangement requires updating the database and in turn makes a new query for the Collection.

Anything else you would like me to test?

No, not at this time.  Thank you for testing and for your feedback.

-Kirk