Author Topic: Image XML export files  (Read 2258 times)

Offline karlbu

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Image XML export files
« on: July 14, 2021, 10:27:13 AM »
OK, here's a question that will likely cause veteran Photo Mechanic users to roll their eyes.  Why does PM create a separate XML metadata file on export.  And what good is it?  Honestly, what are these files used for?  The EXIF data still transfers with the exported image.  Right?  So why the extra file?

Second question: Can I turn XML export off, so that I only export the images and don't need to subsequently take the added step of deleting all XML files?

Thanks.

Cheers.

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
Re: Image XML export files
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2021, 04:38:08 PM »
I am thinking the XMP is what you were referring to?

You might try this: Under Preferences > IPTC/XMP I unchecked "Always create and/or update XMP sidecar file"  (This would cause the checkbox for embedded metadata to be checked)

I tried this and after making the change, no .xmp sidecar showed up when I used the Exporter

Note that this may possibly have unintended consequences if you are adding any IPTC metadata in Photo Mechanic and expecting that metadata to show up in other programs. Testing is recommended in that case

-Mick
Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline karlbu

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 09:44:47 AM »
Thank you.  Yes, I meant 'XMP.' 

Out of curiosity, what applications can import PM's XMP sidecar files?  Photoshop?  Lightroom?  Capture One?

Cheers,
Karl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 10:21:48 AM »
Karl,

Thank you.  Yes, I meant 'XMP.' 

Out of curiosity, what applications can import PM's XMP sidecar files?  Photoshop?  Lightroom?  Capture One?

The XMP format originated with Adobe products.  We use their library for the loading/saving of XMP metadata.  I believe all three products support XMP.  Certainly Photoshop and Lightroom do.

-Kirk