Author Topic: Copy / backup user data  (Read 1325 times)

Offline Dewcal

• View Profile
Copy / backup user data
« on: July 14, 2021, 12:25:32 PM »
I have just had the dubious pleasure of re-installing Windows 10 onto a clean disc drive (all thanks to a graphics card that gave up).  As I slowly rebuild all the programmes I am wondering if it is possible to copy / backup all the data I input into PMP such as web export templates, keywords, metadata templates, settings, snapshots etc.

Does all this reside in one, easily copied, folder location?  I use "Second Copy" to do daily copies of data from other bits of software and, once set up, it avoids having to remember to export from diffeerent locations etc.  Being able to point this software at a given location would - at least for me - be a great security help.

Offline PauloBMB

• View Profile
Re: Copy / backup user data
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2021, 07:48:15 PM »
Yes it is possible. I am not on my windows machine right now and can not remember exactly where the folder is located, but I am guessing something like that: /Users/<your user name>/Library/Preferences and then com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic folder
 (this is the name of the folder on the mac computer I am on now, but I think it should be the same)
What you might try is going into your IPTC Metadata Info panel, click on the snapshot Button and then Manage Snapshots, this should take you to the directory where all your settings are located.
Hope it helps.
Paulo

Offline Dewcal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2021, 01:26:35 AM »
Paulo,
Many thanks for information - I was not aware of the "Manage Snapshots" link to the folder. It looks like copying the windows folder "/user/appdata/roaming/camera bits, inc/ photo mechanic" should have all the information requried for any furture resetting of a system.

However, there is also a Camera Bits foler in /appdata/local - is there anything in here requried to "rebuild" a system?  I also saw some earlier posts (a few years ago) about information being stored inthe registry - does this still apply?

Thanks again for your help.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2021, 11:18:45 AM »
Many thanks for information - I was not aware of the "Manage Snapshots" link to the folder. It looks like copying the windows folder "/user/appdata/roaming/camera bits, inc/ photo mechanic" should have all the information requried for any furture resetting of a system.

However, there is also a Camera Bits foler in /appdata/local - is there anything in here requried to "rebuild" a system?  I also saw some earlier posts (a few years ago) about information being stored inthe registry - does this still apply?

I suggest backing up that location as well.  And it is true that some data is written to the registry.  But it's mostly Favorites and some other UI layout stuff that the MFC framework on Windows manages.  Printer settings are also stored in the registry.  With the exception of the Favorites paths, losing the rest of the data in the registry would hardly be noticed.

-Kirk

Offline Dewcal

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2021, 11:40:00 AM »
Kirk,

Many thanks for the extra information - appdata/local will be added to the back up.