Author Topic: Me Being Dumb!  (Read 3679 times)

Offline george_51

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Me Being Dumb!
« on: July 19, 2021, 05:18:37 AM »
I have two main folders within PM6+ which both have sub-folders.

Last week I added a new, third folder, '3. Ship Image Library', again with multiple sub-folders that were all initially empty. Next I generated a lot of Keywords to allow me to search the images. The keywords all had the form Ships - CV' or 'Ships - BB' etc. I then began to populate the folders with images and as I did so I keyworded each image.

The odd thing is that the '3. Ships Folder does appear on the first page, although it will not open, and it does not appear at all in the search page of PM6+.

Can you help?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Me Being Dumb!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 07:57:41 AM »
I have two main folders within PM6+ which both have sub-folders.

Last week I added a new, third folder, '3. Ship Image Library', again with multiple sub-folders that were all initially empty. Next I generated a lot of Keywords to allow me to search the images. The keywords all had the form Ships - CV' or 'Ships - BB' etc. I then began to populate the folders with images and as I did so I keyworded each image.

The odd thing is that the '3. Ships Folder does appear on the first page, although it will not open, and it does not appear at all in the search page of PM6+.

Can you help?

Did you add that new folder and its subfolders to your catalog?  If not, you'll need to do that.  Catalog Sync in Quick mode should work fine for this purpose.

https://docs.camerabits.com/support/solutions/articles/48001161171-catalog-sync

-Kirk

Offline george_51

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 11:52:46 AM »
Thanks Kirk - a job for tomorrow - past wine o’clock here in a sweltering UK - 90F.

Offline george_51

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2021, 09:07:42 AM »
That didn't work.....

PM6+ seems to be having trouble finding the library - which on my checking is there.

Screenshot attached.

Offline Jerry H

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2021, 09:25:35 AM »
That didn't work.....

PM6+ seems to be having trouble finding the library - which on my checking is there.

Screenshot attached.

Is there a catalog database at the path listed in your screenshot?

I suggest contacting our support folks at:

By email: support@camerabits.com

By phone: +1 503.547.2888

Hours: Mon-Fri, 9:00am-5:00pm [PST/PDT]

-Jerry

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2021, 10:38:44 AM »
That didn't work.....

Screenshot attached.

Looks like you have it located on your iCloud drive folder?  This is unlikely to work and even if it did, it would be so slow as to be unusable.  Please keep your catalog on a local fast (SSD preferred) drive.

-Kirk

Offline george_51

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2021, 09:56:21 AM »
I'm going in circles with this problem.

All of my images are held within the iCloud folder of my MacBookPro including the two that are working perfectly.

If I move 3. Ship Image Library from the Navigator Pane in PM6+ it appears in the Favorites Pane and all the subfolders holding the keyworded images are there too.  Happy days.

If I then open the PM6+ Search Pane the folder 3. Ship Image Library is not there, the other two are, and 3. Ship Image Library never appears even after numerous attempts at Scanning the Catalog, doing Catalog Management etc.

Offline george_51

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2021, 09:59:03 AM »

All of my images are held within the iCloud folder of my MacBookPro including the two that are working perfectly.

If I move 3. Ship Image Library from the Navigator Pane in PM6+ it appears in the Favorites Pane and all the subfolders holding the keyworded images are there too.  Happy days.

If I then open the PM6+ Search Pane the folder 3. Ship Image Library is not there, the other two are, and 3. Ship Image Library never appears even after numerous attempts at Scanning the Catalog, doing Catalog Management etc.

Here are the screenshots.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2021, 10:27:10 AM »
George,

Here are the screenshots.

The one catalog that needs to be updated cannot be accessed at the location where it was last known to exist.  Where is it now located and can it be accessed?  I suggest storing the catalog on your local drive and not on an iCloud drive.

-Kirk

Offline george_51

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2021, 06:46:12 AM »
Thanks for the advice Kirk - but I seem to have gone backwards!

I had been storing my Pictures folders on the iCloud Drive which is on my MacBook Pro hard disk, but on opening PM6+ again found nearly all my folders had been corrupted with multiple duplicate images, along the lines of Image 1 2, Image 1, Image 3, Image 4, Image 5, Image 6 etc. - where 1,2 and 3 are the originals and 1 2, 5 and 6 etc. are the duplicates.

I've spent hours cleaning up the folders to get back to 1, 2 and 3 and have moved the Pictures folder as a whole from my hard disk's iCloud Drive to the Macintosh HD under my user name.

Then went to Catalog Management and did an update, but it seems to have identified every image on my Macintosh HD not just the folders I had in the 'Favorites Pane'.

To get out of this mess can I delete the PM6+ Catalog folder and files as a whole, and then start again by importing the cleaned up folders into the Favorites Pane, and without losing all the keywords attached to the individual images?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2021, 07:08:14 AM »
George,

To get out of this mess can I delete the PM6+ Catalog folder and files as a whole, and then start again by importing the cleaned up folders into the Favorites Pane, and without losing all the keywords attached to the individual images?

Yes.  You should delete the unwanted catalogs within Photo Mechanic Plus.  You can do this in the Catalog Management window.  Expand each catalog you wish to delete and click the "Delete" button and wait for it to finish.  If the catalog isn't able to be accessed by PM Plus then you can instead "Forget" it and delete it out in the Finder.

-Kirk

Offline george_51

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2021, 09:25:53 AM »
Thanks will do that shortly - are you sure there is no risk of my losing all the images' keywords?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2021, 03:37:07 PM »
Thanks will do that shortly - are you sure there is no risk of my losing all the images' keywords?

All of the keyword data in the catalog comes from your images.  As long as you don't delete the images then your keywords are safe.

-Kirk

Offline george_51

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2021, 06:53:48 AM »
That all worked - many thanks!

:) :) :) :)