Author Topic: Sort by Color Class is Upside Down  (Read 1623 times)

Offline sdwheeler

• Newcomer
  • Photo Mechanic daily user since 2001
    • View Profile
    • Simon Wheeler Photography
Sort by Color Class is Upside Down
« on: July 19, 2021, 08:27:22 AM »
I have a catalog of 12,203 files from across 5 different hard drives. It's supposed to be all .tif file. When I do a search for

tif or tiff or Tiff or Tif or TIF or TIFF

I can find 12078 of them. There's undoubtedly some .jpgs in there that got included by mistake.

One of the hard drives was erased so I'm working on cleaning those images out of the catalog. To the best of my knowledge those images that are no longer on the fifth hard drive were all duplicates.

I've go through and removed all color ranking and star rating from the images that remain on the four other disks.

So this means that the only images left with star or color ratings are missing originals in regard to that catalog.

The problem is when I sort the catalog, as presented by the tif search string as given above,  by Star or Color Rating the results are upside down. Without the reverse box checked the color coded images are at the bottom of the search, with the Purple at the top of the colored tagged images. If I click the reverse button the color tagged images are at the top but Yellow is above Orange, is above Red, is above Purple.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Sort by Color Class is Upside Down
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 02:06:00 PM »
I have a catalog of 12,203 files from across 5 different hard drives. It's supposed to be all .tif file. When I do a search for

tif or tiff or Tiff or Tif or TIF or TIFF

I can find 12078 of them. There's undoubtedly some .jpgs in there that got included by mistake.

One of the hard drives was erased so I'm working on cleaning those images out of the catalog. To the best of my knowledge those images that are no longer on the fifth hard drive were all duplicates.

I've go through and removed all color ranking and star rating from the images that remain on the four other disks.

So this means that the only images left with star or color ratings are missing originals in regard to that catalog.

The problem is when I sort the catalog, as presented by the tif search string as given above,  by Star or Color Rating the results are upside down. Without the reverse box checked the color coded images are at the bottom of the search, with the Purple at the top of the colored tagged images. If I click the reverse button the color tagged images are at the top but Yellow is above Orange, is above Red, is above Purple.

What are your colors, in order?  Feel free to post a screenshot of the Color Class filter widget in the toolbar.  Note: the 'none' Color Class is zero and will come before all other colors.

-Kirk

Offline sdwheeler

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 03:01:56 PM »
Hi Kirk,

Thanks for looking at this

1 Search of a catalog, Reverse checked in the sort order. Result shows yellow coded photos at top despite there being orange, red and purple in the results. Non color labelled photos are below the purples.

2 Search of same catalog as screen shot 1 but with Reverse sort NOT checked. Non color labelled photos presented at top. Color labelled photos are presented, in order purple, red, orange, yellow at the bottom

3 Screen shot of a regular, non-catalog PM folder from the desktop, Revers is NOT checked. There are no purple or red coded photos in this folder. The two orange photos are presented at the top, then the yellows, the greens and at the end the non-color images.

So the sort presentation order is different in a catalog compared to a regular contact sheet. Is this intentional?

thanks
Simon

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2021, 09:34:32 AM »
Simon,

So the sort presentation order is different in a catalog compared to a regular contact sheet. Is this intentional?

No, not intentional.  Thanks for the additional information.

-Kirk

Offline Jerry H

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2021, 10:50:42 AM »
Hi Simon,

1 Search of a catalog, Reverse checked in the sort order. Result shows yellow coded photos at top despite there being orange, red and purple in the results. Non color labelled photos are below the purples.

2 Search of same catalog as screen shot 1 but with Reverse sort NOT checked. Non color labelled photos presented at top. Color labelled photos are presented, in order purple, red, orange, yellow at the bottom

I was able to recreate the problem with catalog-based contact sheets incorrectly sorting color labels. I will file a bug in our bug tracking system.

As for a workaround, it appears that color labels do sort correctly for catalog-based contact sheets if one creates a Custom Sort using the {colorclassval} variable.

-Jerry

Offline sdwheeler

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2021, 11:03:12 AM »
Hi Jerry and Kirk,

Thank you for responding and letting me know I'm not crazy.

Simon