Author Topic: Will Lightroom ever let me go?  (Read 2109 times)

Offline Michael Naylor

• View Profile
    • Michael Naylor Fine Art Photography
Will Lightroom ever let me go?
« on: August 02, 2021, 10:04:56 AM »
I'm trying again to finally migrate from LR to PMP.  I have with both apps currently pointing to the same images and used PMP to add all my family and friends to the People shown tags successfully for each and every image.

To get rid of the LR's structured people keywords, I deleted them in LR and updated the metadata to disk.  So now PMP no longer display displays them as keywords - as seen within the image Info panel.  So far so good.

BUT, PMP is still displaying the LR structured keywords in the Filter and Browse tabs.  If LR doesn't see them, why is PMP displaying them in the Filter and Browse tabs? I would have thought they'd be gone by now.

Please could someone kindly explain why this is happening, and how to get rid of them altogether?
Michael

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Will Lightroom ever let me go?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2021, 10:17:12 AM »
Michael,

I'm trying again to finally migrate from LR to PMP.  I have with both apps currently pointing to the same images and used PMP to add all my family and friends to the People shown tags successfully for each and every image.

To get rid of the LR's structured people keywords, I deleted them in LR and updated the metadata to disk.  So now PMP no longer display displays them as keywords - as seen within the image Info panel.  So far so good.

BUT, PMP is still displaying the LR structured keywords in the Filter and Browse tabs.  If LR doesn't see them, why is PMP displaying them in the Filter and Browse tabs? I would have thought they'd be gone by now.

Please could someone kindly explain why this is happening, and how to get rid of them altogether?

While it could be a bug causing this issue, I would need some sample images (along with XMP sidecars) to investigate.

-Kirk

Offline Michael Naylor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2021, 10:47:44 AM »
While it could be a bug causing this issue, I would need some sample images (along with XMP sidecars) to investigate.
-Kirk

Thank you Kirk.  I can certainly do that, but first I'm trying a Full Sync - which will take quite some time.  I'll let you know.
Michael

Offline Michael Naylor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2021, 12:00:21 PM »
-Kirk

Thank you Kirk.  I can certainly do that, but first I'm trying a Full Sync - which will take quite some time.  I'll let you know.

I can send an image, but I'm not happy to have Google grab and splash it all over the Internet by posting it here.  Is there another way I can send it to you?
Michael

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2021, 12:49:51 PM »
Michael,

I can send an image, but I'm not happy to have Google grab and splash it all over the Internet by posting it here.  Is there another way I can send it to you?

Sure, click on my name to the left of this message and send me a personal message.  Reference this thread, please.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Michael Naylor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2021, 03:59:05 PM »
Sure, click on my name to the left of this message and send me a personal message.  Reference this thread, please.
-Kirk
For anyone reading this thread, it wasn't a bug.  This method of migrating from LR does work, but one has to be methodical and patient.  It takes time for both LR and PMP to read and write metadata to disk.  It's probably wise is to monitor disk activity - 'Activity Monitor', if on a Mac.  Thank you Kirk for your assistance
Michael