Author Topic: can't quite get started  (Read 1429 times)

Offline ron_hiner

• View Profile
can't quite get started
« on: August 03, 2021, 07:04:45 AM »
Long time PM user..  Only now getting started on PM+ 6.0 build 5820.  Running on MacOS 11.3.1
I've keyworded and cleaned up roughly 30 folders of images, then submitted them to Scan Catalog.   The folders get scanned, then the process seems to stop.  The metadata isn't cataloged and the image previews never get created.

Image folders are on a network drive. I'm getting read speeds of about 2500 MB/s on there.   But PM+ quits doing the processing, and the network drive goes to sleep.

What am I missing here?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: can't quite get started
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2021, 09:18:38 AM »
Ron,

Long time PM user..  Only now getting started on PM+ 6.0 build 5820.  Running on MacOS 11.3.1
I've keyworded and cleaned up roughly 30 folders of images, then submitted them to Scan Catalog.   The folders get scanned, then the process seems to stop.  The metadata isn't cataloged and the image previews never get created.

Image folders are on a network drive. I'm getting read speeds of about 2500 MB/s on there.

I've never heard of network drive performance rivaling those of the M.2 SSD.  Are you sure that speed is accurate?

But PM+ quits doing the processing, and the network drive goes to sleep.

Sounds like one of the pm-task processes has become unresponsive or has died.  Open the Activity Monitor and enter pm-task in the search field.  How many are running?  There should be four.

I'd like to see your Photo Mechanic log.  In Photo Mechanic Plus go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Finder window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline ron_hiner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2021, 10:01:21 AM »
1)  Hmm.  Now you have me questioning disk speed.  I was running black magic disk speed test.  Maybe it was picking up my local SSD.  I'll investigate.   Network drive is Synology DiskStation DS3612xs connected via SMB over Ethernet.

2) 4 pm-task processes are running.   See attached.

3) PM_log.zip is attached.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2021, 03:17:17 PM »
Ron,

I'm not seeing anything super obvious going wrong in your log data.

How about starting out small by creating a new catalog and working with a smaller set of images until you get your feet wet?

-Kirk