Author Topic: Metadata for video files  (Read 1307 times)

Offline ryan carter

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Metadata for video files
« on: August 12, 2021, 03:27:59 AM »
Hi Kirk and PM community,

I've been tasked to add metadata to video files (Description, Headline, City, Country, Copyright etc.) these files will eventually be dropped into a company multi-user DAM system. I don't have much experience dealing with video files.

I was hoping to use PM in a similar way that I've been applying metadata to still images, writing IPTC not xmp sidecar files. After a few preliminary tests I've notice that the metadata is written to xmp sidecar files. Is it possible to write metadata directly into the video files (.mov, mp4, etc) without having a sidecar file?

When I do write metadata to the video files as xmp sidecar files, Adobe Bridge doesn't seem to recognize this, it shows the metadata fields to be blank. Alternatively when I add metadata to the video files in Adobe Bridge, Photo Mechanic doesn't seem to recognize it...

Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Ryan

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Metadata for video files
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2021, 09:05:45 AM »
Ryan,

I've been tasked to add metadata to video files (Description, Headline, City, Country, Copyright etc.) these files will eventually be dropped into a company multi-user DAM system. I don't have much experience dealing with video files.

I was hoping to use PM in a similar way that I've been applying metadata to still images, writing IPTC not xmp sidecar files. After a few preliminary tests I've notice that the metadata is written to xmp sidecar files. Is it possible to write metadata directly into the video files (.mov, mp4, etc) without having a sidecar file?

No, metadata is not written into video files by Photo Mechanic Plus or the base Photo Mechanic applications.

When I do write metadata to the video files as xmp sidecar files, Adobe Bridge doesn't seem to recognize this, it shows the metadata fields to be blank. Alternatively when I add metadata to the video files in Adobe Bridge, Photo Mechanic doesn't seem to recognize it...

We do plan to support reading more metadata from video files.  But we won't be modifying video files to insert new metadata.

-Kirk