Author Topic: gps location information wrongly shown in canon 5d iv video files  (Read 1279 times)

Offline mike999

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
The newly released version of PM6+ unfortunately does not fix the bug where gps location information in canon 5d iv is shown wrongly. It is certainly appears better than the previous version BUT is still wrong and now it is much more difficult to spot the errors so in some ways is worse than before.

All the files I have checked have shown errors in the region of 20 - 30 miles but not in a consistent direction, as stated previously the still files show the correct location for stills taken at the same time so it is not a problem with the gps itself.

[was issue " difference in time and gps between still and video files in pm6+" but made new issue as that problem had various other parts to it]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: gps location information wrongly shown in canon 5d iv video files
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2021, 09:59:04 AM »
Mike,

The newly released version of PM6+ unfortunately does not fix the bug where gps location information in canon 5d iv is shown wrongly. It is certainly appears better than the previous version BUT is still wrong and now it is much more difficult to spot the errors so in some ways is worse than before.

All the files I have checked have shown errors in the region of 20 - 30 miles but not in a consistent direction, as stated previously the still files show the correct location for stills taken at the same time so it is not a problem with the gps itself.

[was issue " difference in time and gps between still and video files in pm6+" but made new issue as that problem had various other parts to it]

Can you share a sample file that exhibits the problem?  Can you also specify what the actual GPS coordinate should be?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline mike999

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2021, 12:32:42 PM »
I think you already have the example files supplied as part of the "difference in time and gps between still and video files in pm6+" query. If you note as part of that I did a screen grab that showed the pigs both as video files and stills and you can see the coordinates. The coordinates for the still files are correct but the video files are not.

It is not easy to send additional files as of course the files themselves are massive.

Offline mike999

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2021, 12:41:04 PM »
As you can see it is not a simple matter of shifting the decimal point.
However I may have the answer, it could be that the canon video files show the location in degrees minutes seconds and you are trying to show this as decimal degrees. So the program needs to convert the canon video file numbers from degrees minutes seconds to decimal degrees and that may solve the problem.